Visual Arts Bulletin 18.2.2019

Ever complained about not being able to find arts events or spaces in Durham? To counter this misperception, Palatinate Visual Arts will be publishing a fortnightly bulletin of arts events in Durham and surrounding area. Bringing together events across the area, we hope that the bulletin will be somewhere you can find everything that’s going on, all in one place.

Events

Monday 18th February: Craftivism with Nasty Women North East Nasty Women North East will be holding an informal drop in craftivism session, creating craft-y ways of sharing info about the fantastic Shout-Up campaign. These works of art will then be left around Ouseburn to spread the word about campaign. Cumberland Arms Bed and Breakfast, Newcastle, 1800

Tuesday 26th February: Durham Sixth Form Centre Art Foundation Exhibition An Exhibition of the work of Durham Sixth Form Centre’s art foundation students. 1630-1830 at Durham Sixth Form Centre

Tuesday 19th February and 25th February: Life Drawing DU art soc will be running its weekly life drawing classes. At £1 for members and £3 for non-members. All abilities welcome. Arrive at 19:00-19:15 and begin 19:30, PG21 in Palace Green.

Saturday 23rd February: LateMix at the BALTIC Centre The first LateMix, a late-night takeover of BALTIC by young people working with artist Sophie Lisa Beresford. This evening will include creative workshops, informal chats, artwork and music created exclusively for and by 12-19 year olds. There’ll also be snacks, the opportunity to see a brand new exhibition and a chance to dance. All welcome. BALTIC Newcastle, accessible by train from Durham.

Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th February: Art50 Weekender at the BALTIC Centre What will Britain look like, feel like, be like to live in, in the wake of the Brexit vote? 50 projects funded by Sky Arts on this topic will be showcased on TV in Spring 2019. They will also be showcased at a free weekend festival in February at the BALTIC and Sage Gateshead. Art 50 Weekender is part of Art 50, a scheme commissioned by Sky Arts to explore the notion of British identity in the wake of Brexit. BALTIC Newcastle, accessible by train from Durham.

Saturday 2nd March: Encounter 2019 Art Exhibition ‘Encounter 2019’ is a contemporary art exhibition, exploring the encounter between climate change, nature and society, by local artists, art students and the community, with research poster displays by Durham University students. In addition to painting, photography, video and sculpture on display, there will be four live performance at the opening. Opening on the 2nd March, 16-1900, at Sheraton Park, Ustinov College.

Sunday 3rd March: Exposed at the Laing Art Gallery Closes This exhibition of unclothed portraits from the National Portrait Gallery Collection invites questions about identity and gender, the real and ideal. It includes portraits of exposed sitters from Nell Gwyn to Naomi Campbell, Gilbert & George to John Lennon and Yoko Ono. The various meanings of ‘exposed’ can be found in the portraits in this exhibition. Read Palatinate’s Review here. Laing Art Gallery Newcastle, accessible by train from Durham

Follow Palatinate Visual Arts on Instagram here. Want to be on the bulletin? Join our contributors group here, or email visual.arts@palatinate.org.uk

Image ‘The Last Supper’, a copy of Leonardo DaVinci by an Unknown Artist, courtesy of Gandalf’s Gallery on Flickr via Creative Commons