Vice-Chancellor to retire in 2021

Professor Stuart Corbridge, who has served as Durham’s Vice-Chancellor since September 2015, has announced that he will retire on the 31st July 2021, due to health reasons.

In an email sent to all students, Joe Docherty, chair of University Council, announced that the date of his retirement had been brought forward a year, having had his contract extended last academic year for two further years. 

Docherty reassured students that he would continue to lead the University in full capacity until that date, although “he will have limited ability to undertake extensive travel once Covid-19 restrictions are lifted.”

In the email, Council commended Professor Corbridge’s “steadfast pursuit of the delivery of the University Strategy through a time of turbulent external policy environment and challenge.” 

Professor Corbridge said that “Leading Durham University over the last five years has been an immense privilege for me both as a leader and as an academic.

“As a community we have achieved so much with our University Strategy to transform our research, education and wider student experience.  I am very proud of those collective achievements. 

“We continue to be a world-leading University, albeit we now face many challenges caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, like all universities.   

“I remain immensely grateful to all of the colleagues, students and friends of the University who have supported me through my tenure as Vice-Chancellor, and with whom I will continue to work over the next academic year.”

In light of this news, it was announced that Council will now begin searching for a new Vice-Chancellor to succeed Professor Corbridge, intending to make an appointment by early 2021.

Before coming to Durham, Professor Corbridge served as Provost and Deputy Director at the London School of Economics. 

“Leading Durham University over the last five years has been an immense privilege”

Professor Stuart Corbridge

Under his leadership, the University launched its ambitious development strategy (2017-27), the details of which can be found here.

Prior to entering University management, Corbridge had a successful academic in the field of Human Geography. His research interests include development studies, geopolitics and India.

Image: Durham University