University sets undergraduate marking deadline for striking staff as gown hire fee waived for Spring ceremonies

In an email to all finalists on Tuesday it was revealed that 20% of finalists are still without a final or interim degree classification as Durham University asks strike members still taking action to “submit marks for final year undergraduate students by 14 July”. 

The University also announced that they would refund the fee of robe hire for those who choose not to attend summer congregation and will consider giving reimbursements to people who have “incurred non-refundable expenses” on a “case-by-case basis”. They will also make a financial contribution to all those who choose to attend the awarding of degrees in spring as well as waive the fee for the hiring of robes. 

All degrees, including those which could be awarded, will be conferred at a separate time in Abestina. For those who have received their final classification, this will be on Friday the 7th of July. 

All students will also receive a transcript of either their final or interim outcome with an official letter explaining what this outcome means, which is “evidence of achievement” for “employers or other higher education institutions”. They also said the University was willing to offer individual support for the University to “liaise with (employers) on your behalf”.  

The University also annoucned they would refend the fee of robe hire for those who choose not to attend summer congregation

In the email sent on behalf of Tony Fawcett, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Education, they went on to say that they are “doing all we can to resolve this situation” and that they are “working as hard and as fast as (they) can get assessments and exams marked and to classify degrees” calling it their “number on priority”. 

The University said that they had reached out to all staff participating in the boycott with them telling finalists that they had written to all staff involved in the dispute to return all finalist marks by the 14th of June.   

In an email sent to all staff participating in the marking and assessment Boycott Karen O’Brien, Vice Chancellor of the University said “It is a matter of urgency that they (finalists) get their remaining marks as soon as possible”. She asked that “those staff who have not yet declared that they have ended their participation in the MAB, that they prioritise marking the work of finalists over all other academic activities, and that they return all final marks by Friday 14 July at the latest”

In the email, she also promised that if staff returned all work for finalists “your full pay, from 1 June, will be reinstated.” The University had previously withheld 50% of pay from those participating in the Marking and Assessment Boycott. 

Library accounts, facilities and resources have also been extended for those who have yet to receive their final degree award, with the facilities remaining available until the degrees are awarded. 

Image: Gordon Griffiths via Wikimedia Commons

One thought on “University sets undergraduate marking deadline for striking staff as gown hire fee waived for Spring ceremonies

• Hi – just a correction. The email said that pay deductions would stop from 1 June if staff both mark all finalists’ work *and* confirm that all other marking and assessment work would definitely be done, i.e. exiting the marking & assessment boycott, by 14 August.

Your articles on this would be more informative if you get comment from UCU.