Travel and terrorism: A safe combination?

It’s the question on every parent’s mind before bidding farewell to their children as they venture on their cross-globe gap year.

Earlier this November, suspected driver Sayfullo Saipov and his truck tore through lower Manhattan, killing eight and injuring eleven. While Saipov may have been shot dead at the scene, the alarm of the attack is still very much alive, festering a new-found fear within us all. We pity and then we panic. And when we panic, we tend to think irrationally, perpetuating the panic. Statistics suggest that you are more likely to die from a TV falling on you than in a terrorist act. And yet the thought of travelling within the terrorist-torn world in which we live traumatises the minds of many young avid travellers who are rocked by the relentless headlines of such cases. However, it is arguably this very climate that dictates why travelling is today has become even more vital.

We pity and then we panic. And when we panic, we tend to think irrationally, perpetuating the panic.

Reminiscent of Westminster and Nice, the New York attacks have rounded off a new age of terrorism defined by truck rampages. A scarily mundane method that is easy to execute, difficult to intercept and even more tough to detect a trail of organisation, therefore ensuring that the once distant and seemingly fictional acts of terrorism are now far more comprehensible. It is such comprehendible distress that deters many from venturing beyond the comforts of their own home and into the vibrancy beyond.

However, this fear is the very adrenaline that is fuelling terrorists. By allowing ourselves to be consumed by it, we are satisfying their desire to create terror and therefore legitimising their campaign. Hearing about crises, such as the New York attacks, stirs a sense of helplessness, a helplessness that you can prevent by not allowing the headline-induced hysteria corrupt your travelling horizons. By voyaging to a terrorist torn country, you can help to deter their dominance of that nation by allowing their tourism economy to re-flourish.

By allowing ourselves to be consumed by [the fear], we are satisfying their desire to create terror and therefore legitimising their campaign

It is too easy to give in, give up and not get out. Routine is the best resistance to terrorism, so get packing and travel beyond the trepidation that merely tantalises them to reattack.

Photograph: Cedric H. Rudisill via Flickr Creative Commons

One thought on “Travel and terrorism: A safe combination?

• Y DO THE SO CALLED EXTREMISTS ATTACK CHRISTIANS ?

THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION ! AND THERE CANNOT BE ! dindooohindoo

BUT THERE IS A RATIONALISATION OF THE REASON ! THE EXTREMISTS ACT WITHIN THE SCOPE OF THEIR REASON – WHICH IS THEIR SENSE PERCEPTION AND WHICH EXTENDS ONLY UPTO THE QURAN AND POSITS OF ISLAMIC THEOLOGIANS (WHICH IS FAIR AS THE THEOLOGIANS
    HAVE A WIDER AMBIT OF SENSE PERCEPTION)

IF A MUSLIM SAYS THAT HE ACCEPTS CHRISTIAN-ET AS A RELIGION – THEN HE IS EITHER A FOOL OR A COWARD OR BOTH (AS PER ISLAMIC THEOOGIANS) !

IN ISLAM THE CHRISTIAN-ET OF PAUL AND THE NT IS A FRAUD AND FALSITY – PERIOD ! There can be NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT (AGAIN – AS PER ISLAMIC THEOLOGIANS) !

THE PUNISHMENT FOR HERESY AND BLASPHEMY IS DEATH AS PER TORAH, TALMUD AND OT !

IT IS THAT ELEMENTARY ! BUT IT IS AGAINST ALL NOIRMS OF HUMAN RIGHTS

AND THIS IS THE PROOF OF WHAT ISLAMIC SCRIPTURES THINK OF CHRIST-IAN-ET ! ANY MUSLIM WHO DENIES IT – IS ON SHEESHA !

THIS IS WHAT IT STATES – IT CAN BE DEBATED – BUT THIS IS WHAT IT SAYS ! THE QURAN AND THE BARNABUS BIBLE SEALS THE TRUTH OF JESUS – FROM BIRTH TO RESURRECTION AND RETURN ! HAVING SAID THAT – CHRISTIAN-ET HAD DONE A LOT OF GOOD IN THE WORLD – BUT THAT DOES NOT DILUTE THE FACT THAT IT IS THE CREATIVE FICTION OF 1 MAN – PAUL (THIS BEING THE POSIT OF ISLAMIC THEOLOGIANS).dindooohindoo

CASE 1 – JESUS IS NOT GOD AND NO DEATH AND RESURRECTION

The Quran says in Surah 61:14

O ye who believe! Be Allah’s helpers, even as Jesus son of Mary said unto the disciples: Who are my helpers for Allah ? They said: We are Allah’s helpers.And a party of the Children of Israel believed, while a party disbelieved. Then We strengthened those who believed against their foe, and they became the uppermost. So we strengthened those who believed from the two tribes of Bani Israel over their enemies, those who disbelieved in Muhammad, peace be upon him, for what he came to attest to them, that is that Jesus is the slave of Allah and his Messenger, and to expose the lies of those who say that he is God, and those who say that he is the son of Allah the Most High, so they (the believing tribe) have been made victorious over the disbelieving enemies.

CASE 2 – PAUL IS A FRAUD

Shaykhul-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah:

This is just like what Paul fabricated when he entered into the Religion of Christianity in order to corrupt the Religion of the Christians.

Ash-Shahratain (d. 1153), a theologian of the Asharite school, echoes the above words of Ibn Taymiyyah by stating that:

Paul, however, disordered his affair, made himself (Peter’s) partner, altered the basis of his knowledge, and mixed it with the argument of the philosophers and the (evil) suggestion of his heart.

CASE 3 – PAUL IS NEITHER A PROPHET NOR A SEER NOR A MESSENGER

Imam Muslim and Imam Bukhari,Volume 4, Book 55, Number 651:

Narrated Abu Huraira: I heard Allah’s Apostle saying, “I am the nearest of all the people to the son of Mary, and all the prophets are paternal brothers , and there has been no prophet between me and him (i.e. Jesus).”

The word used is “nearest” of all … – which would exclude the 12 Apostles as well as Mary. Then it says “… no prophets….”

WONDER BAR !