Top Travel Trends

By Danielle Cuaycong

New year, new you? What better way to learn new things about yourself than to travel to new destinations around the world? No, we’re not talking about ‘finding yourself’ in the depths of waterfalls in Thailand or glamping, we’re going in the direction of losing yourself in the busy streets of Tokyo and shivering incessantly in Iceland while you watch the Northern Lights. 2018 is the year for bold choices, starting with travel.

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Marcus Saul

From delightful eats to vivacious nightlife, Dubrovnik is a summertime sanctuary; one that has been enticing an increasing number of tourists each year. Exuding a certain historic charm, the buzzing Old City should be at the top of your list. Make sure to go early in the morning to avoid any busy crowds and the glaring midday sun and enjoy the extensive panoramic views on the top of the City Walls. Take an afternoon out and enjoy a horse-riding tour with Kojan Koral (which costs approximately £70) to absorb the sound of the ocean, watch the golden sunset and immerse yourself fully in the culture of Croatia.

Antarctica, Norway and Iceland

Despite living in the gloomy and painfully cold Durham, travelling to cold climates is set to be a ‘hot’ (pun intended) trend in 2018. Antarctica, Norway and Iceland are predicted to be the most popular places. Ditch the intense heat of Dubai and instead, opt for shivering in a snowsuit in Iceland. Instagram has been inundated with images of these winter wilderness lodges, such as the Arctic Haven, where you can enjoy seeing Arctic wolves, grizzly bears and caribou. Iceland is not just purely about the Northern Lights; a soothing dip in the natural hot springs and a few days in the local villages will leave you teeming with happiness.

Ditch the intense heat in Dubai and instead, opt for shivering in a snowsuit in Iceland

Ron Kroetz

Even better, with the airline, Icelandair, you’ll be able to travel from a place like New York to London, with a free stopover in Iceland for up to seven days. Thus, if you plan in advance, you’ll be able to travel to a multitude of cities for a much cheaper price. If reading incessantly online about Iceland is still not good enough for you, Icelandair also offers Stopover Buddies where employees can help travelers nd the local hotspots and even, accompany them on day trips.

Japan

With a plethora of things to do, don’t just go for the cliché Tokyo – stay for longer and explore the other cities of Japan. From swimming naked in the hot springs near Nagano to enriching your knowledge about the history of serene Kyoto, Japan is brimming with culture. A place that is both ancient and futuristic, immerse yourself in the bonsai trees, Zen gardens and the fresh seafood broths. If you want to feel alive, stand still in Tokyo where you will be surrounded by megalithic, neon skyscrapers and travel to the Shinjuku station which two million people pass through everyday. However, the essential thing to do in Tokyo is to eat ramen at Ichiran Ramen in Shinjuku where you order your choice of ramen at a vending machine, queue for a painfully long time (the only downside) and sit quietly in an individual booth where you are handed your order via a sliding door.

A place that is both ancient and futuristic, immerse yourself in bonsai trees, Zen gardens and fresh seafood broths

Canada

Winter is considered the new peak season and Canada has already been listed as the New York Times’ top place to go in 2017. Canadian inbound tourism has reached a 14-year high with nearly 20 million travelers in 2016. With its sleek skyscrapers, plush shopping in Yorkville and Bohemian districts in Queen Street, Toronto is bustling with life.

Canada has already been listed as the New York Times’ top place to go in 2017

However, despite the New York vibes that Toronto may radiate, Niagara Falls is worth the day trip. Here you can enjoy the highest waterfall ow rate in the entire world. Additionally, Vancouver – quoted as the ‘best place to live in the world’ multiple times – is buzzing with a cultural vibrancy and ethnically diverse array of restaurants.

Featured  photograph: Andrés Nieto Porras via Flickr