The Menswear Update

From full white lace suits that would easily show up your grandmothers doily collection, to multi-coloured glitter bombers; this year’s spring summer menswear shows were a chaos of avant-garde feminine textures, patterns and cuts. Translating this into the everyday student wardrobe can be hard to imagine even for the most fashion forward Durhamite. However Palatinate Fashion have found the top 5 Spring Summer trends that you can wear with ease throughout the warmer months, minus the frills and sequins.

Green

The colour green was present across the board in all its natural and alien glory this season, from deep khaki to iridescent lime. Shirts, trousers and knitwear paired with neutral and earth tones, this is one highly wearable and effortless trend to complement any closet, adding a spice of spring colour or a punch of army camouflage to your everyday look.

Bomber Jackets

Heavily embroidered baseball and bomber jackets were everywhere, with tigers, floral and chinoserie designs, in satin and metallic. This American sportswear staple was seen at Valentino, Hermes, Gucci and Saint Laurent to name but a few. A luxurious statement item that is not for the faint hearted, but if worn with confidence bomber jackets are still relaxed enough for the lecture hall with their simple boyish silhouette.

Suede

An investment item for the more reserved outerwear addicts could be the suede shirt jacket or “shacket”. Continuing the 70’s style references, major designers opted for beige, camel and peach as the tones of choice; think Northern Soul and Suedeheads for some angsty retro inspiration. Styled under blazers or just as easily with jeans nothing could be simpler than this gritty classic.

Socks and Sandals

Socks and Sandals are back but this time without the grandpa on holiday connotations. Instead, this usual fashion faux pas has had a sports lux update. Peep toe trainers and mid-thigh socks give a satirical normcore feel to the more casual ensemble. Comfort conquers all with this trend.

Wide leg trousers

With wide leg jeans, floating silk pyjama bottoms and airy structured culottes, this season the fashion world preached dump the skinny jeans! With this look prevailing on many catwalks, some of the highlights included: JW Anderson, Craig Green, Alexander McQueen and Yohji Yamamoto. Although you might laugh at the billowing elegance of a samurai-esque set of pants, if you are able to find right balance between scores of fabric and the drainpipe chinos of old, the wide leg trouser could add some much needed freedom.

Images: HSMCH via Wikipedia, NOWFASHION.