The Late Summer Lecture Series celebrates its tenth anniversary as the 2020 lectures are held virtually

By Saniya Saraf

The Late Summer Lecture series, a popular series run by Durham University, is taking place online this year as it celebrates its tenth anniversary. 

The series this year is hosting various different speakers this year from the universities of Cambridge, Sheffield, Warwick, Northumbria and Kent as well as Durham.

Organised by the the Department of English, it has taken place annually since the summer of 2010. It holds free public talks by various early career researchers from Durham and further afield.  

The theme of the 2020 series is ‘Body and Mind’

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the lecture series will be held virtually this year. The theme of the 2020 series is ‘Body and Mind’, hosting talks on topics such as North American identities, TS Eliot, King Charles I and angels to name a few.

The talks will take place every Wednesday from the 19th of August to the 7th of October. The series begins with its first talk on Wednesday titled ‘Romantic Wellbeing’, and will be presented by Dr. Amanda Blake Davis of the University of Sheffield and Alex Hobday of the University of Cambridge.

The talks will commence each Wednesday over Zoom at 5.30pm and is free and open to everybody. 

Image: Roger via Flickr