The influencers that will make you check your privilege as you scroll

In the next instalment of Indigo Features’ series on content creators, tells us about the activists she’s begun following on Instagram, fuelling her social media consumption with a new purpose.

As a self-confessed Instagram addict, I decided to make a change to my scrolling and following habits. As it is one of the apps I click on the most frequently, I decided that if I was going to spend so much time on the platform, I should educate myself while I am at it. So, as the BLM movement started seizing people’s attention, I initially found myself spending hours scrolling, reading and sharing as much media as I possibly could in a ridiculously quick turn-around time; my stories had never been so full of posts that I had read and learned something from and wanted others to read too. I came to realise that this method of learning was not all that effective: I needed to give myself time to really understand the information available to me, as I found myself becoming very overwhelmed with how much I did not know. 

To this day, I am constantly seeking out accounts to follow that’ll help me learn more about the BLM movement, and to educate myself on the history lessons that the education system failed to include. Here I have compiled some of my favourite Instagram accounts that continue to facilitate my learning:

1. Danielle Coke, @ohhappydani 

Coke prides herself on her advocacy of faith, justice and optimism. If you don’t recognise the name, you will have definitely still seen many of her prints over the BLM movement. Aesthetically pleasing yet packing a powerful punch, her artistry married with her refreshing views on personal growth is what drew me in. Her art is refreshing and always carries a message, be it related to BLM or life in general.

1. Brittany Packnett Cunningham, @mspackyetti 

Cunningham is a force to be reckoned with. I was in particular drawn to her IGTV livestreams, where she openly addressed the sharing of black squares for #blackouttuesday, and how they are both encouraging yet detrimental if used merely as trend pieces. She has an air of confidence that completely captivates you, and her feed sends consistent reminders of the importance of not staying silent, educating yourself and having difficult conversations with your family and friends. 

1. Rachel Elizabeth Cargle, @rachel.cargle 

Cargle uses her feed to share her original writing. She describes herself as building an intellectual legacy through teaching, storytelling and critical discourse, and she does this by keeping all of her works extremely personal. Her poetry in particular is what caters to my inner English nerd, and also is an enticing medium that allows you to educate yourself through the multiple allusions and the stories she tells through her prose. 

I found myself feeling ashamed that most of the information I was coming across was very new to me, and this is something that I have been working to rectify. I know that I can never be a perfect ally, but what I can do is listen and continue to read and educate myself. And, in the words of my grandfather, it has never been easier with it all at your fingertips.

Image: 99 films via Unsplash