The Indigo Guide to the Summer

summerindigo006

There’s so much going on in Durham post-exams, it can feel overwhelming. During my first year a friend once jokingly complained that her post-exams schedule was busier and more stressful to organise than her revision leading up to exams. Certainly, identifying which few unmissable events to attend can be a struggle with so many competing for attention. College days and society balls can be taken for granted, it’s the other local events that we want to look at. To help you navigate this busy time we’ve compiled a few of our favourite upcoming events this summer, ranging from alcohol-themed festivals to Durham’s first ever Pride parade.

29th May, Jam Jah featuring ‘The Funk Yard’ and ‘Lenny and the Mandem’

20:00, Alington House, 4 North Bailey, £5

Jam Jah is one of Durham night life’s best kept secrets. Expect groovin’ tunes til late from two of Durham’s bands and the resident DJs.

30th May, Night at the Movies

19:30, Durham Cathedral, Front of Nave: £20 / £17, Back of Nave: £15 / £10

For the launch evening of the Festival of the Arts a whole range of Durham music groups perform in the cathedral, including the University Symphony Orchestra, Palatinate Orchestra, Chamber Choir, Northern Lights A Cappella, Light Opera Group, Opera Ensemble, Big Band, Brass Band, Concert Band and the DUMS Chorus.

31st May, Durham Pride

13:00- 02:00, various Durham venues, free

Since their inception last year Durham Pride has grown and grown and on Sunday they’re looking to make history with Durham’s first ever Pride parade. This will start from Palace Green at 1pm, followed by entertainment til late at the Slug and Lettuce and Loveshack.

31st May, Wax in the Attic: Pop-up Record Store and Vinyl DJs

11:00- 17:00, Empty Shop, £2

If you can drag yourself away from Pride for a moment, give Empty Shop a visit. Record store holders will be selling new and used vinyls all day while DJs play from their collections.

4th June, Arts on the Green

12:00- 17:00, Palace Green, free

A selection of music, comedy and theatre will grace Palace Green in what looks to be a relaxed summer afternoon. Let’s hope it’s a sunny day!

4th-6th June, Ethrael Theatre presents Bent by Martin Sherman

19:30, The Assembly Rooms, £5.50 / £6 / £6.50

If you’re in the mood for gut-wrenching drama, Ethrael Theatre’s upcoming show is not one to miss. Set in Nazi Germany during and after the Night of the Long Knives, Bent follows the life of Max, a young gay man, and his experience at Dachau.

7th June, Selma screening, The Bede Film society

19:15, Caedmon Hall, Hild Bede, £3 (£1 members)

This term’s schedule includes a number of movies which came to the fore during last awards season. Selma tells the story of the 1965 Selma to Montgomery voting rights marches led by James Bevel, Martin Luther King, Jr. and others.

8th June, Pink Week Men’s Vs. Women’s Football match and picnic

15:00, Rubber Crumb 2, Maiden Castle, £2 minimum donation

The first event of Durham Pink Week – seven days of awareness and fundraising for breast cancer charities. This afternoon of football and food looks to be one hell of a showdown between Cuth’s Men’s D team and Cuth’s Women’s team.

11th-13th June, Newcastle Gin Festival

18:00- 23:00 (Saturday 12:00- 17:00), The CastleGate, Melbourne Street, Newcastle, £7

The title is pretty self-explanatory: this claims to be UK’s largest gin festival, showcasing over 80 UK gins.

12th June, Indoor Market Pop-Up

18:00- 20:30, Durham Market Place, ‘pay as you feel’

The Indoor Market Cafe will be transformed into a top-quality restaurant for the night with live music. This will use the surplus food collected by volunteers from shops, restaurants, and wholesalers around Durham. Non-monetary contributions such as serving, washing up, and performing at the event are encouraged.

17th-19th June, Ooook! Productions presents Yes, Prime Minister

The Assembly Rooms

If you fancy some end-of-term comedy you can’t go far wrong with Ooook! The illustrious theatre company bring the classic 80s BBC sitcom to the Durham stage later this summer. We’ll have to keep an eye on Ooook!’s Facebook page for further details nearer the time.

indigo flowers

Images: and Jonathan Thorneycroft