The Duchess of Cornwall visits site of Durham-backed research into Covid-19 sniffer dogs

HRH The Duchess of Cornwall visited the Medical Detection Dogs charity training centre based in Milton Keynes, where a Durham University-backed trial is taking place to determine whether dogs can be used to detect Covid-19 in humans. 

During her visit, The Duchess of Cornwall watched labradors Marley and Bea sniff out Covid-19 samples, alongside their trainers.

The trial is a collaboration between the biosciences department at Durham University, the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), and the Medical Detection Dogs charity, which was established in 2008 to research and train bio-detection dogs.

“This is a game changing moment”

HRH The Duchess of Cornwall

If the trial is successful, the dogs could be used at airports and sporting events in the UK within the next six months, and could potentially screen up to 250 people for Covid-19 symptoms per hour. 

Due to their acute sense of smell, dogs can detect diseases such as Parkinson’s and malaria, and can even detect different types of cancer.

On the Clarence House Instagram account, The Duchess commented: “I just knew that there was something very special about these dogs, as we’ve seen today with COVID and how quickly they’re learning to sniff the scent… This is a game changing moment and I really do urge everybody, if they can, to please help us.”

The Duchess of Cornwall has been a patron of the Medical Detection Dogs charity since 2014.

Image: Durham University via Twitter

One thought on “The Duchess of Cornwall visits site of Durham-backed research into Covid-19 sniffer dogs

• Great but how long is this training going on for? Helsinki airport already has sniffer dogs for Covid in place. Is there more news on when we are going to start using these dogs in the U.K. I can’t find any updates in the media.