The Democratic Debate 2020

On October 15th, twelve candidates took the stage in Westerville, Ohio, in what was the fourth Democratic party presidential debate. The three-hour-long debate was hosted by CNN and the New York Times, and brought forth some changes in the election climate.

Who made it to this round? The 12 candidates are the main contenders in the record-large field running for the Democratic Party’s nomination for President in the 2020 election. Among the participants were Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren – the leading two candidates in the polls – as well as Kamala Harris, 2016 runner-up Bernie Sanders, and Tulsi Gabbard.

All candidates were against Trump’s withdrawl of troops from Syria

The most prominent topics of the night were dictated by recent occurrences, with questions regarding immigration, health care, foreign policy, and guns sitting at the forefront of the debate. Notably, the ongoing Trump impeachment inquiry was acknowledged and debated; all twelve Democratic candidates expressed their support for the proceedings. All candidates also shared their position against Trump’s withdrawal of troops in Syria, with Biden calling it ‘shameful’.

But apart from certain unanimous judgments, many of the candidates found themselves on opposite ends of certain issues pertaining to the American people. Among the highlights included Gabbard questioning the presence of American troops in Syria in the first place, an idea which was vehemently contested by Buttigieg, who said Gabbard was ‘dead wrong.’ Harris criticised Warren for not supporting the efforts to suspend Trump’s Twitter account.

Buttigeg and Klobucher challenged Warren’s ‘Medicare for All’ policy

Meanwhile, Buttigieg and O’Rourke disagreed strongly over gun policy, while Buttigieg and Klobuchar challenged Warren on her ‘Medicare for All’ policy. Many have said that Buttigieg proved himself as a fighter particularly in this debate with Warren. Warren was also attacked by O’Rourke who called her proposal of a wealth tax a divisive idea.

Other highlights include Sanders, who was recently hospitalised with a heart attack, reassuring voters that his health is intact. Harris focused on reproductive rights, bringing up her anger that the debate did not focus on the is- sue of abortion. Biden found himself in the spotlight concerning his son, Hunter Biden, and the latter’s business dealings in Ukraine. The presidential candidate emphasised that his son did nothing wrong.

Many critics and observers have said that the fourth debate was Biden’s best performance yet, a fact exemplified by the current national polling average which is firmly in his favour. Warren currently comes in at a strong second, followed by Sanders, Buttigieg, and Harris.

Image: Gage Skidmore via Flickr