The Brexit update

When it comes to Brexit, it seems as if it’s an endless drama with multiple plot twists that leave us with bent necks, scratching our heads, and asking ‘What’s going on?’ Since resigned as Prime Minister and Boris Johnson took on the role, the Brexit situation has taken a turn for the extreme. With the Brexit deadline of October 31st rapidly approaching, there are many questions being raised regarding the government suspension and what a no-deal Brexit would mean.   

The suspension was intended to stall debate  

The government suspension prompted by Boris Johnson at the end of August, to come into effect by September, has left the UK in a fog of anxiety and confusion with acute awareness of the swiftly approaching Brexit deadline of October 31st. According to Johnson, the suspension was intended to make way for the Queen’s Speech which effectively laid out the UK’s legislative agenda and marks the start of the new parliamentary session. However, it has been said by several individuals, including Speaker of the House John Bercow, that the suspension was intended to stall debate on a Brexit deal and enable the UK to slide toward a no-deal Brexit. Recently the High Scottish Civil Court deemed Johnson guilty of misleading the Queen regarding the intentions for the parliamentary suspension. Johnson has repeatedly denied these allegations, but his intentions still remain unclear. The court decision may result in serious consequences for Johnson, including his removal as Prime Minister.

A no- deal Brexit would essentially mean that the UK would leave the EU’s single market economy overnight. This scenario renders its own cascade of concerns. A leaked document called Operation Yellowhammer outlines the ‘base case’ if a no-deal Brexit were to occur. The document is at the very least worrying as it explains how a no-deal would result in medical shortages, a lack of perishable foods, a backstop on the border on Northern Ireland, and an economic crash for the UK. The document was initially kept from the public but was eventually released claiming to be a ‘worst case’ scenario if no-deal Brexit were implemented. Although it is obvious it would be in the best interest of everyone for Parliament to reach an agreement before the deadline, the MPs are nowhere near the two-thirds vote needed to pass a divorce deal.

It is becoming more apparent that the UK will be unprepared for the possible impact of a no-deal Brexit.

With upcoming party conferences, it is clear that the main concern of both parties should be crafting a Brexit deal. However, preparations for no-deal Brexit are being made by stockpiling medical supplies and extra parking space being provided for trucks that would come through the French border. However, it is becoming increasingly more apparent that the UK will inevitably be unprepared for the possible impacts of a no-deal Brexit. The total impact of Brexit is unclear, but with or without a deal, Brexit will be a substantial shift for the UK. 

Image by TeroVesalainen via Pixabay