Trevs construction

36 Trevelyan freshers to be housed in “adjacent college accommodation” after redevelopment delays

Palatinate can confirm that construction work taking place at Durham University’s Trevelyan College has overrun schedule, leaving freshers to be housed in what the University describes as “adjacent accommodation”.

This delay will mean 36 out of the 240 incoming Fresher students will not have a room in college for up to the first two weeks of term.

Construction at Trevelyan College – 17/9/2019

36 out of the 240 incoming Fresher students will not have a room in college for the first few weeks.

Professor Martyn Evan, Principal of Trevelyan College said: “We regret that improvements to some of our student accommodation undertaken over the summer vacation have overrun. 

“The College will therefore have to accommodate up to 36 of the 240 new undergraduates in adjacent College accommodation for up to two weeks. During this, they will enjoy access to all meals, facilities, amenities and events together with their peers in Trevelyan.

“We are working to have the bathroom and pantry facilities ready as soon as possible. We anticipate this will be by mid-October and will keep students updated on progress.

“I can confirm that during this temporary period there will be no requirement to use private accommodation.”

A first-year Trevelyan student told Palatinate that the first time they learned of the issue was via a Durfess post

A soon to be first-year Trevelyan student told Palatinate that the first time they learned of the issue was via a Durfess post from the 16th September – the Durfess post was later removed. This was until an email sent by the University on Wednesday 18th.

The added stress on freshers in these weeks is unfortunate, unnecessary and irresponsible.

An incoming first-year Trevelyan student

The Durfess post was sent into a Trevelyan first year facebook chat and received reactions from panic to disbelief – many believing it was a prank. Through asking Freshers Reps the students confirmed that there would be some level of disruption with regards to accommodation. 

The Trevelyan fresher stated: “Personally, I think given how stressful of a time starting university can be, it’s ridiculous that something like this could ever be a possibility.

“The added stress on freshers in these weeks is unfortunate, unnecessary and irresponsible.”  

Kate McIntosh, Students’ Union President, told Palatinate after a meeting with the University: “There are Freshers who are currently imagining arriving to a room in Trevs in 10 or so days, envisioning freshers’ week surrounded by their peer group in college. And for some of them, they’re only now being told that their vision of their freshers’ week was wrong.

“The university is clear that there will be a room for every incoming student and that they take this seriously. But why did this happen? And crucially, why did no one know in time to stop it?

“Students not having beds less than 2 weeks before they arrive is a clear example of the University failing to factor students into expansion and it is not good enough.”

Construction in C Block – 17/9/19

The Trevelyan JCR has confirmed there will be issues fitting everyone into college but have ensured that Dr Latham, the Associate Principal, and the college are working extremely hard to minimise the disruption.  

This situation follows the University of Bristol having to house 25 students in Wales due to a lack of accommodation at their college campus. They had to make an arrangement with a “third-party provider” in Newport, some 30 miles away from the Bristol campus.

@NaomiAClarke @JackPeterTaylor

Photography:

One thought on “36 Trevelyan freshers to be housed in “adjacent college accommodation” after redevelopment delays