The Barking Baking Company & Recipe

dog123 2 writes about his solution to living out and the end of college catering.”

Aloha! My name is Hugo Brown, I am in Trevs and study law. I run a food blog – www.barkingbaking.com – dedicated to easy recipes for students.

Barking Baking started because I realised at the end of last year that I would be living out and there would be no catering. I tried a few recipes by doing a cheeky google but the problem I had was that the recipes were inconsistent – some work and some do not.

This can be a bit annoying when you end up wasting good ingredients on bad food. So I set about compiling great, easy recipes that just work.

Think of BarkingBaking.com as a hub for recipes by students, for students. I too am living on a budget and if it doesn’t taste good, I don’t publish it.

If you have something you think we should try – I am always on the look out for funky new stuff – please submit it using the link on the website and I’ll try it!

Get in touch: BarkingBaking@gmail.com.

www.barkingbaking.com

www.facebook.com/barkingbaking

www.twitter.com/barkingbaking

www.instagram.com/barkingbaking

Bring The Barking Baking Company to your kitchen as Hugo shares his “nice and easy” pie recipe – perfect comfort food!

Chicken, Mushroom and Leek Pie

This is my first pie ever. Thoroughly recommend it! Looks like a lot of ingredients but it’s actually not that bad – you probably have most of it lurking around somewhere. And don’t be put off by the pastry – just get ready rolled stuff and it’s easy!

Ingredients

fullsizepie

• 3 chicken breasts
  • A large pack of mushrooms
  • 1 large leek
  • 1 onion
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 50g of butter (at least)
  • 2 tbs of plain flour
  • About 300ml of milk
  • 200ml chicken stock
  • Salt and pepper
  • Small handful of parsley
  • Shortcrust pasty (ready rolled)

Method

Fry the chicken in oil until it is white. Add the chopped mushrooms. Allow them to cook. Remove it all from the pan and put to one side.

Fry the chopped onion and garlic in more oil. When it is soft, remove and pop in with the chicken.

Now we make our sauce: melt the butter in the saucepan and add the flour. Stir constantly. It turns into a paste. Add the milk gradually – stir all the time.

Add the chicken stock. Stir. If it doesn’t look particularly thick, add more flour. Keep it simmering until it has thickened a bit.

Add the chopped parsley (and season). Pour this over the chicken etc.

Now fry up your leek in plenty of butter. Butter just makes it taste so much better. It takes a few minutes to do so be patient with the leeks!

Pop everything in your pie dish – give it a good stir so that everything is covered nicely – and allow to cool in the fridge for about half an hour.

Whilst it is in the fridge, cut your pasty into a large circle so that it will cover your dish. You can cut shapes out and pop those on top to decorate it if you want!

Now cover the pie dish with the pastry and paint it with a lightly beaten egg – this makes it go a lovely golden brown. Makes sure you cut a few small slits in the top of the pastry so that steam/heat can escape.

Cook for about 20 minutes at 200 degrees.

WOOP you just made a pie.

Photographs: Hugo Brown 

3 thoughts on “The Barking Baking Company & Recipe

• everything is so beautiful! Osechi-ryori is my favorite time to cook since being a little girl at the side of my Bachan. It’s such a special time. Thank you for sharing these amazing recipes. Happy New Year!persian grocery

• Wonderful list! I’ll be trying each one of them for then next month. Am particularly looking forward to the Shrimp and Avocado Taco Salad.homemade pizza

• Awesome recipe and one of my favorites whenever we go out to a Thai restaurant. It looks like all prep work – the cooking itself is pretty simple. Thanks for sharing.digital marketing