That 70’s show

Often a handful of trends define a particular Fashion Week, or even mange to filter through shows in all four major cities on the calendar, yet there seemed to be only one stand out style that epitomised New York: the 70s. Yes, there were other stand out looks (the gothic motif of Alexander Wang for instance, and the intricate embellishment seen at Rodarte and Jenny Packham), but in a peculiar occurrence, most runway staples were an offset of the wider hark back to the studio 54 styling of the disco decade.

3

Facets of the trend appeared almost to the point of exhaustion. Narciso Rodriguez featured ‘to-the-floor’ coats – a natural extension of this summer’s duster jacket trend. Another staple that appeared, as a progression from the S/S collections, was culottes. The ‘skort’ has been well and truly overdone these past few seasons, making the resurgence of culottes most welcome. As the skort’s cooler, older sister however, culottes were hardly a surprise to those in the know. The 70s colour palette of strong jewel tones was another firm feature on the catwalk. Garments in punchy oranges and reds clothed the models at Victoria Beckham and Prabal Gurung. On the other hand, the likes of Ralph Lauren chose instead to feature earthy brown hues more heavily in their collections.

4

The most recognizably 70’s element to grace the runways in the Big Apple? Fringe of course. Fringe everything – jackets, skirts, dresses and accessories – featured in many collections. This is certainly a trend maintained from last season, however the summery Stevie Nicks vibes have been replaced with an altogether more classic and neater take, as seen at Marchesa. Derek Lam and Michael Kors played with the other major element of the 70s trend: fur. Whether fake or real, they were nonetheless found either draped around the neck in a stole, fixed to a collar, or having provided the material for an entire coat. Elements of fur worked to add a sense of luxurious coziness to numerous collections.

The 70s trend overall is essentially a very wearable one, making it rather easy to recreate on a student budget. Pair a floppy hat with a jewel toned dress or skirt to channel 70s glamour this Spring. Alternatively, a simple fringed bag is an easy way of alluding to the 70s vibe.

Photographs: Style.com.