‘Terrorism’ review: ‘Fast-paced and engaging’

Suffragette Theatre Company delivers an intense, compelling and thought-provoking night of theatre in their production of ‘Terrorism’. Consisting of six scenes which initially seem unrelated but are shown to weave together as the play unfolds, the play is fast-paced and engaging, and while some aspects of the story are difficult to follow, the strength of the acting and tension between comedy and violence keeps the audience on the edge of their seats.

Performed in the Debating Chamber, directors and Sophie Cullis utilise the space intriguingly and effectively. The back of the stage resembles a student house, cluttered with bottles and household items, everything from a television to a kitchen sink. This detritus, along with the air sirens and telephone ringtones playing over the speakers, creates a tense atmosphere even before the play has begun.

Creative use of set and props kept the audience engaged

Consisting of six scenes which initially seem unrelated but are shown to weave together as the play unfolds, the play’s pacing is kept up throughout, with the various locations from bedroom to office to airport lounge created simply yet effectively through the use of a mattress or a bench. The actors also cleverly make use of the props scattered around the stage, such as the office scene where a soundscape is created using pens and papers to reflect the monotony of the office which is then destroyed by the employee’s hanging. While the rather awkward scene transitions did break up the flow of the play slightly, the creative use of set and props kept the audience engaged.

The versatility of the cast is impressive, as they masterfully multi-role vastly different, incredibly heightened and physical characters. The quick changes of tone within scenes are well executed and give the play an unsettling quality, particularly in the intimate scene between the sobbing yet snappy wife played by Eleanor Storey and her illicit lover played by Jack De Deney. Both actors move between anger, lust and vulnerability, playing at violence and cruelty in an effort to escape their reality and gain a sense of control.

As the directors’ note states, the play ‘explores the everyday atrocities we commit’, and this is shown in the successful manipulation of scale in the play; everyday events take on national significance, and suicide cannot evoke nearly as much pity or anger as an argument over mineral water. Shocking events are communicated to the audience in a down to earth way, making many of the characters seem almost inhuman in their cold pragmatism and lack of empathy. Balanced with the sense of violence running through the play is a surprising amount of comedy, which, while unsettling in the context, is brought out extremely well in the melodramatic acting style. Keir Mulcahey’s depiction of the shrill neurotic office boss and Hatty Tagart’s portrayal of the racist secretly murderous grandmother both deserve special mention for being particularly funny and engaging.

Balanced with the sense of violence running through the play is a surprising amount of comedy

While the intensity of the acting generally works, the darker moments are sometimes overplayed, with the delivery becoming overly shouty. However, the volatility of the characters is well brought out, and the feeling of uncertainty created by the actors’ ability to quickly shift between emotions maintains tension throughout the play. The final scene delivers a beautiful moment of genuine pathos, with the audience feeling ’s character’s utter powerlessness and despair and he listens to his wife’s answering machine play again and again while sobbing on the ground with the awareness he has killed her. A shocking combination of humour, nihilism and bitter cutting truths, ‘Terrorism’ is not the play you expect it to be and definitely worth a watch.

One thought on “‘Terrorism’ review: ‘Fast-paced and engaging’

• Again – missing the crux ! I Islam and Christianity are FUNDAMENTALLY OPPOSED – on core principles of theology and ontology.Neither believes in the Prophet or scripture of either.

U have to accept 1st the facts and then ascertain the truth – till then the war will just go ion !

For Those who ask Y ?! Y the war between Islam and Christian-ET

Sample the basic Priori differences between Islam and Christ-ian-ET ! dindooohindoo

There is not an iota of hope ! Only Doom !

Once u read this – there will be no queries on the reasons for Boko/ISIS/ Qaeda ………

Also , there is no Islamic Radicalism – This is Islamic Theology – only differing point of view is in how it is to be executed and/or enforced.dindooohindoo

The disaster is that the verses of the Quran can easily be proven from the Bible verses verbatim or their contradictions and /or interpretations.In other words, the NT and many parts of the OT are ruminations of a human and the Quran is the revelation TO A HUMAN

Type 1 – Prioris

Y Islam and Paulinity are fundamentally irreconciliable and normatively opposed – with the Old Testament and Prophet , probably doubting the Prophet Hoof of the Prophet of Islam
    Muslims do not believe in the concept of Holy Trinity (Quran 5:73).
    “They do blaspheme who say: God is one of three in a Trinity: for there is no god except One God. If they desist not from their word (of blasphemy), verily a grievous penalty will befall the blasphemers among them.” (Koran 5:73)
    Say not “Trinity” : desist: it will be better for you: for God is one God: Glory be to Him: (far exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is God as a Disposer of affairs.” (Koran 4:171)
    God is not Jesus and vice versa (Quran 5:72
    “O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of God aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) an apostle of God, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in God and His apostles.

Type 2 – Philosophy , Theology and Perspectives on Hitstory

We are responsible for our own deeds and will not be punished for the deeds of another person (Quran 53:38–42) – as opposed to the Pauline belief
    “If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to God), never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter He will be in the ranks of those who have lost.” (Quran 3:85).
    Jesus was initially Killed on the Crucifix – 1 Corinthians 1:23 (Quran does not agree to this -Surah 4:157)
    Jesus was son of Joseph with the seed of David (Quran calls Jesus of immaculate conception theory)
    Romans 1:3:
    Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
    Revelation 22:16:
    Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star
    No Virgin Birth for Paulines (Quran believes in Virgin Birth)
    Seed of David from Joseph (Seed of David from Mary – in Quran)
    Jesus Christ our Lord…was made of the seed of David, according to the flesh;…. (Romans 1:3-4.)
    Jesus Christ of the seed of David….(II Timothy 2:8.)
    Of this man’s [i.e., David’s] seed hath God, according to his prophets, raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus. (Acts 13:23 KJV.)
    Mary has the seed of Aaronites – a priestly class (Quran – No Comment)
    The Bible refers to Christ as the “only begotten” Son of God (John 1:18) – As per Quran – there is no begotten-ness
    The NT and Jesus did not prohibit wine or swine or any other meat – as per Quran – it is haram
    Jesus opposed to John’s followers, disallowed and disavowed fasting – which is mandated, as per Quran
    Isaiah opposed animal sacrifices – which is mandated as per Quran
    Paul prohibited circumcision – which is mandated as per Quran
    Paul mandated individual free will in all matters, besides the 1st Two Commamdments – Quran is about directions and injunctions, and no interpretation or bidah