Teams announced for inaugural Loughborough intramural varsity

By Ella Jerman

Durham University’s college sport sides are set to welcome teams from Loughborough University on Sunday February 11th for a highly-anticipated intramural varsity event between the two sporting powerhouses.

Back in November, Durham stormed to a 7-4 away victory over fierce rivals Loughborough in the prestigious varsity to earn crucial BUCS points. This time around, however, it is not about the BUCS overall points table, but rather a brand new opportunity for Durham’s college sport teams to showcase the players and skills that have earned them success in their leagues so far this season.

A selection of successful college teams across nine sports have been chosen to represent Durham against Loughborough’s best intramural teams at Maiden Castle this Sunday.

Reigning unbeaten at the top of the Premiership, Stephenson A have been chosen to represent Durham in mixed badminton and will be hoping to replicate their 8-1 victory over St Cuthbert’s B against Loughborough on Sunday. Collingwood and Josephine Butler will be representing Durham in men’s and women’s basketball respectively.

In the football, last year’s Division One champions St Cuthbert’s A will represent the men, whilst unbeaten Grey A will compete in the women’s 7-a-side.

On the new water-based hockey pitches, last year’s Premiership winners St Hild and St Bede A will represent the men, and Grey A the women. Grey will be determined to extend their current 26-game unbeaten run into yet another competition.

Sunday will also see Van Mildert A take on Loughborough’s best intramural netball team, before unbeaten rugby Premiership leaders Collingwood A go head to head against their counterparts.

College Sport Manager LJ Crawford is full of anticipation for Sunday’s match-up.

“Starting an annual varsity is no small feat, especially when it is a varsity against our biggest BUCS rivals, Loughborough.

“With no previous records to track, this competition could go to anyone, but I wouldn’t have had the first year of this head-to-head anywhere other than at home in Durham to give college sport the first chance at claiming victory right here on home ground.”

Photograph: Durham University