Team Durham update: strong start across BUCS

By Will Jennings and Ella Jerman

Women’s Football

The 1s went into the Christmas break on a high having already secured the Premier North League title. With 27 points from nine games and a striking goal difference of +31, it is safe to say they have enjoyed an extremely successful league campaign. The 2s are currently fourth in Division 2 North with nine points. Wins in their upcoming home fixtures against Sheffield Hallam and Newcastle will be essential if the Palatinates want to keep pace with the top three.

Women’s Hockey

The 1s currently sit in fourth with 11 points and are yet to win away from home this season, but a win in their upcoming home fixture against Loughborough could take them up to second. Meanwhile, the 2s are just one point behind second-placed Northumbria and have a superior goal difference and game in hand on their main league rivals.

Netball

Durham’s netballers have been flying high so far this season with the 1s, 2s and 5s all currently topping their respective leagues. The 1s will be looking to capitalise on York St John’s poor recent form in their next game to put some distance between themselves and Sheffield in second place. The 2s are currently six points clear at the top of the Northern 3B. The 5s are unbeaten in the league and their goal difference of +208 is the highest of any DUNC side.

Men’s Rugby League

Having achieved promotion to the Northern 2B division two years ago, DURL are pushing again for promotion this year. They currently sit in second, three points behind Leeds Trinity. The team are preparing to face the league leaders at home in what is likely to be a title-deciding match.

Former DURL captain and senior member of the squad Calum Graham reflects on the season so far: “This season has seen us go from strength to strength and pick up some seriously good results such as our 42-0 away win against a once dominant Sheffield Hallam side. This improvement from last year has been down to the hard work of all the boys, especially the Pres Rob Dessington.”

Men’s Rugby Union

In a league as competitive as the BUCS Super Rugby division, Alex Keay’s First XV were always aware of the challenges this season would bring. The side currently sit eighth in the top flight following a disappointing run of results including defeats at Exeter, Loughborough, Northumbria and Cardiff Metropolitan. Brighter moments have emerged, however, with victories against Bath, Leeds Beckett and Nottingham Trent instilling some confidence.

Men’s Football

Durham’s First XI have experienced a turbulent campaign so far, sitting in third place in the Northern Premier division after a first term characterised by both goals and inconsistency. Despite important victories against Northumbria, Loughborough and Stirling, dropped points in the return fixture against Loughborough and against Birmingham on two occasions have halted their progress. Nevertheless, the league title remains a viable achievement for the side.

Men’s Hockey

The hockey club continues to go from strength to strength, with all five teams entering the second half of the season in strong shape. The First XI are at the summit of the Northern A division, while the Second and Third XIs occupy the top two places of the Northern 2B division after just one loss each. With four of the five teams still in the hunt for titles, the apogee of this season looks set to be compelling.

Tennis

Both the men’s and women’s tennis teams have enjoyed considerable success so far. The first teams both sit top of their divisions following near-flawless first terms, with the women’s side still in possession of their laudable undefeated record.

Photograph: Briana Rose Norton via Twitter