Team Durham enjoy mixed results in final pre-season games – 8th October

bucs-logo

Rugby:

The 1st XV started their campaign as they took on Leeds University whilst raising great money for Action Zambia. On the field, they things were equally impressive as Durham ran out 26-3 winners – taking a bonus point in the process.

The 2nd XV, taking on Manchester’s 1st XV, started slowly and trailed at half-time but recovered to win 31-24. The 3rd XV were equally impressive in claiming an 18-18 draw against Sheffield Hallam’ 1st XV.

The women’s 1st XV claimed the spoils in a comfortable friendly against Northumbria University, winning 29-10.

Lacrosse:

Three lacrosse teams took on Newcastle with both universities making use of a final friendly before their seasons get underway. Durham showed their class, with the men’s 1st team romping to a 14-3 win. Our women’s 2nd team lacrosse also outclassed Newcastle’s 1st team in winning 6-2 and the 3rds crushed Newcastle 2nds 15-3.

Football:

The men’s 1st XI footballers beat Newcastle 2-1 with Durham’s 2nds defeating their 2nds 3-1. The women’s side won comfortably against Newcastle 1st team, having led 9-0 at the halfway point.

Volleyball:

The men’s 2nd volleyball team won 3-0 against the Newcastle 1st team, with the women’s 2nd team securing a creditable 2-2 draw against their 1st team.

Tennis:

The University’s highly fancied tennis team crushed Newcastle with the men’s 2nds and 3rds winning 9-0. Meanwhile, Durham’s 2nds and 3rds women drew 3-3 with the Newcastle 1st and 2nds.

Basketball:

The men’s basketball team beat the Newcastle 1st team with ease whilst the 2nds were edged out narrowly by their 2nd team. Despite leading for long stages, the Durham Wildcats eventually lost out to the Newcastle Eagles, last year’s national champions.

Badminton:

The badminton teams suffered mixed fortunes. The men’s 1st team won 5-3, the 2nds drew 4-4 and the 3rds were soundly beaten 7-1. The women were put to the sword, losing 6-2 and 7-1.

Squash:

Our men’s squash team recorded a solid 5-0 win with the women drawing 2-2.  The women’s 2nd team recorded a superb 3-1 win but the 2nds and 3rds were beaten 4-1 and 2-1 respectively.

Table Tennis:

Our women’s table tennis team began the season strongly with a convincing 5-0 win. The men went down 11-7.

Hockey:

In the National Hockey League, Durham’s men surrendered a 3-0 lead, contriving to lose 4-3 to Wakefield. The women were unfortunate to be beaten by a good Brooklands side. The men’s 2nd team also struggled, losing 4-2 to Whitley Bay. However, there were good wins for the 3rds and 4ths who beat Stockton and Stockley respectively. The women’s 3rds lost 1-0 to Newcastle Medics whilst the 4ths signed off a tough set of fixtures with a 4-2 defeat against Durham City.

Photograph: