Summer of Experience winners announced

By Natasha Livingstone

The Durham University Careers Centre has announced the winners of its Summer of Experience competition. First place was awarded to Sasha Warren, second place to Helen Willey, and third place to Luke Magarinos.

The winner, Sasha Warren, gained a place on the Brooke Owens Fellowship programme in Los Angeles. The scheme offers undergraduate women paid internships in aerospace and space exploration.

Warren told Palatinate: “The best part of the fellowship was meeting thirty-five incredible undergraduate women who loved space.” Regarding the importance of the programme, Sasha said: “every single undergraduate that identifies as a woman and is interested in space should apply for the fellowship programme right now.”

Palatinate also spoke with Luke Magarinos, who was awarded third place for volunteering at Colima Volcano in Mexico. He named his entry ‘Monitoring the Beast’.

Magarinos told Palatinate: “The best moments were taking a private chartered flight around the crater of the volcano to get thermal images and driving a four-by-four up the volcano in monsoon conditions.

“I wouldn’t have been able to go without the help of the Sara Pilkington fund through Collingwood College, as they paid for my flights.”

Helen Willey placed second through volunteering in her local community and ‘highly commended’ runner-up Rebecca Makinson participated in an eight-week placement with the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine.

Photograph: Sasha Warren