SU launches new postgraduate grant for Wider Student Experiences

The SU has announced a new grant to offset the financial effects of the coronavirus pandemic for postgraduate students.

Announced by Postgraduate Academic Officer Sarah McAllister, the grant will help cover expenses for postgraduates linked to wider student experiences such as clubs and societies. A range of £100-250 bursaries will be available.

Student must complete a brief online application form by the 1st of May detailing why they need help with their experience expenses. A panel will then select the applicants they want to receive the grants. All postgraduates are able to apply.

“Our hope is to lessen the financial burden of becoming fully involved in your College and Durham’s Wider Student Experience.”

-

In a Facebook post announcing the policy, McAllister announced that the grants are designed to “offset the Covid impact on students’ budgets in line with the University’s goal of expanding access and participation”.

“Perhaps you’d like to attend a College or University event that involves a ticket fee or other expense, maybe you’d like to join a club or society that has a fee of some sort, or perhaps there’s an academic conference you’d like to attend.

“This activity grant is designed to support all students to become involved to whatever extent they’d like and we recognize that not all students have access to the same financial resources. Our hope is to lessen the financial burden of becoming fully involved in your College and Durham’s Wider Student Experience.”

The policy comes after the University’s decision to extend Easter Term for a week to make room for additional “Wider Student Experience” events. A link with the application form is available here for all postgraduates wishing to apply.

Donate to Palatinate Banner