Aditya Lathar elected Post Graduate Academic Officer

By Emily Doughty

Aditya Lathar has been announced as the incoming Post Graduate Academic Officer, winning the by-election held for the role with 49% of the vote. The election came after Cynthia Lawson, previous PG Academic Officer elect, stepped down to concentrate on her upcoming PhD studies. 

Emily Watson came second with 23% of the vote, followed by Zijian Zhao who gained 14% of the vote. Liyuan Zhu came forth with 7% of the vote, Keerthi Sudhakar Vasishta came fifth with 3% of the vote and Yan Peng came sixth with 2% of the vote. Re-Open nominations (RON) gained 2% of the vote.

228 students voted in the election with the turnout being 1.36%, significantly lower than the 16.6% of students who voted in the elections held in March for the role previously. 

228 students voted in the election with the turnout being 1.36%

Mr Lathar, a law student from Stephenson College and President of Durham University Indian Society, had run on a platform of being a voice “of all those who believed in me and my vision during the SU Presidential Election”, an election where he came second. His policies included launching a “University Press funded by the Student Union”, providing free printing facilities in MCRs over the weekend and lobbying the University to implement a ‘No Detriment’ Policy for students who take offline exams. 

He will join fellow incoming officers Joe McGarry (SU President), Laura Curran (Welfare & Liberation Officer), Joshua Freestone (Undergraduate Academic Officer) and Jack Ballingham (returning for his second year as Opportunities Officer) as they take over their roles next month. 

In a statement on Instagram, Durham SU posted “Congratulations to Aditya, and to all the candidates who put themselves forward for this role. We hope you’re all incredibly proud of putting your vision for Durham forward”

Image: Amana Moore