SU campaigns to get students to the polls

Durham Students’ Union (DSU) has initiated a campaign encouraging Durham students to register to vote. This campaign began before the General Election was announced.

Kate McIntosh, President of Durham Students’ Union, summarised the campaign: “We’re encouraging people to register to vote as soon as they can, and to plan where and how they’re going to vote.”

Their campaign involves posters taking direct quotes from national newspapers on the public’s opinion of students and their apparent apathy in politics. Statements like ‘Students don’t care enough to vote’ and ‘Pathetic snowflake students’ are countered with the tag ‘Prove them wrong.’

As students, being registered to vote gives you a stake in society.

DSU

The campaign also involves informative posts on how to register, and why it is important as a student to vote. Representatives have held roadshows at colleges to bring the message directly to the students.

McIntosh affirmed the primacy of this election for students, stating: “Undoubtedly, this election will decide what our futures look like.”

The Durham Students’ Union website states: “When politicians make decisions, they look at who is on the electoral register and who votes. As students, being registered to vote gives you a stake in society, providing you
with the power to influence the decisions being made.

“The decisions being made now will affect you and future generations to come and you deserve the opportunity to have your opinion on these decisions heard.”

The snap election will be held on the penultimate day of term, 12th December, and McIntosh stated: “The timing of the election puts us in a precarious position – you need to register before 26th November, plan where you’re voting and know how and when you’re doing it.”

Undoubtedly, this election will decide what our futures look like.

The Durham Students’ Union website informs that as a student, “you can register to vote in Durham at either your college or student house address and at your home address.

“For a general election, however, you’ll need to decide which address you want to vote at when you register. If you decide to vote at home, you can apply for a postal vote, so that you don’t need to go home to vote.”

Their statement also cautions, “it’s worth thinking about where your vote will be most valuable when you decide where you are going to vote.”

The Durham Students’ Union has created a team of ‘Register to Vote Ambassadors’ who are out getting people registered now. McIntosh spoke of how “they’ve been given a budget and asked to come up with an inventive way to get people registering.”

Positions are still open if students want to register to be an Ambassador. The SU website contains further information on how to get involved.

Image by Durham Students’ Union