Rugby accounts for 1 in 4 Maiden Castle hospital visits

Almost a quarter of all hospital visits from Team Durham’s main sports site are for injuries sustained playing rugby, according to injury logbooks at Maiden Castle.

The figures, obtained by Palatinate through a Freedom of Information request, show that of the 86 hospital visits recorded in the 18 months between September 2017 and February 2019, 21 (or 24%) were the result of rugby-related injuries.

A total of 189 injuries were recorded at Maiden Castle in that 18-month period. Injuries not requiring hospital trips received on-site first aid treatment, some involving GP appointments.

When injuries receiving first-aid are factored in, rugby caused 28% of the total, including 40% of all head traumas, and 75% of all neck injuries.

Rugby caused 28% of the total injuries at Maiden Castle

Fergus Hamilton, the Durham University Rugby Club Captain, recently had to retire from the sport due to concussion sustained while playing.

He told Palatinate: “These statistics clearly make for difficult reading, but the increase in the standard of rugby since out 1st XV joined Super Rugby a few years ago has meant that playing stronger and bigger opposition week in, week out takes its toll.

“We have seen the same trend in the professional game, where it has become ever more attritional, although I have confidence that World Rugby will continue to improve their laws for player safety.”

A third-year college rugby player praised the medical staff at Maiden Castle: “They are great. I only went in after suffering a minor concussion last term but was immediately taken care of and assured my injury was completely fine.”

These statistics clearly make for difficult reading

Fergus Hamilton, Durham University Rugby Club Captain

In October 2017, rugby, football, and netball caused 9 injuries to be recorded within a 24-hour window, with 3 involving hospital treatment.

Injuries incurred at Maiden Castle range from nosebleeds and foot cramp, to joint dislocation, leg fractures, and exhaustion. 8 cases of concussion were recorded, as were 3 instances of broken bones.

While rugby accounts for the highest percentage of hospital visits at Team Durham’s facility, hockey is not far behind, on 22%. Maiden Castle’s data shows most hockey-related injuries are to the head and hands.

Image from DURFC