Durham law professor becomes Honorary QC

A Professor in the Durham Law School has been appointed as Honorary Queen’s Counsel by Her Majesty the Queen.

Professor Clare McGlynn specialises in the legal regulation of pornography, image-based sexual abuse, and sexual violence, and has worked at Durham University for over twenty years.

She was announced as one of ten new appointments this January. Becoming a QC is the highest recognition that a non-practising lawyer can receive.

The rank of QC has been awarded in some form for around 400 years, awarded to barristers and solicitors who have demonstrated exceptional skill and expertise in the conduct of advocacy. Honorary QC, the rank awarded to Professor McGlynn, is bestowed to lawyers and legal academics having made major contribution to English and Welsh law outside practice in the courts.

Becoming a QC is the highest recognition that a non-practising lawyer can receive.

Professor McGlynn joined Durham University for a Readership in 1999, becoming a Chair in Law in 2004. She has since served as Deputy Head of the Law School, and was Deputy Head of the Faculty of Social Sciences from 2012 to 2015.

Her research has also looked at justice for survivors of sexual violence, and has identified flaws in current laws with sexual history evidence used in rape trials.

Working with politicians, policy-making and voluntary organisations, her research has been key to national debates and campaigns for law reform. She recommended urgent reforms to upskirting laws when appearing before the Women & Equalities Select Committee.

Her research has been key to national debates and campaigns for law reform

Published in 1998, her first book The Woman Lawyer: making a difference, remains a foundation for much of the research and policy work in the field.

Upon announcing the new QC appointments, Justice Secretary Robert Buckland QC MP said: “I want to congratulate all those on their forthcoming appointments and awards.

“The depth of expertise and eminence in this pool is vast and is exactly what gives our legal system its world-leading reputation.”

Image: David Martin via Wikimedia Commons