Roadworks continue on busy Durham junction

Durham County Council has said that the roadworks to improve safety on the busy A177 Stockton Road junction will not be finished until Autumn after works started on the 10th July.

The £1 million scheme includes removing two islands and upgrading the traffic lights to improve traffic flow at the four-way junction between the A177, Quarryheads Lane, South Road and Church Street Head.

To reduce disruption during the works, multiple parking bays along Church Street have been suspended.

With this site being commonly used by Durham University students to get to and from the science campus, safety of both pedestrians and drivers has always been of major concern due to the confusing nature of the current system.

The £1 million scheme includes removing two islands and upgrading the traffic lights to improve traffic flow at the four-way junction

Durham County Council’s transport and infrastructure manager, Craig MacLennan, said: “This is a very busy junction, and its crossings are used by a large number of students.

“At peak times it can be a tight squeeze as everybody tries to fit on the crossing islands and it can leave some people spilling over onto the road itself, which poses a safety risk. We’re revamping the junction by removing the crossing islands so people can just cross in one go.”

He continued, “We apologise in advance for any disruption but will be carrying out the works in phases and doing as much as we can during the summer holidays to keep it to a minimum. We’re also advising pedestrians to follow the signed diversion routes and drivers to allow extra time for their journeys as there may be some delays.”

Image: Les Hull via Wikimedia Commons

One thought on “Roadworks continue on busy Durham junction

• A wonderful example of why Durham County Council is so revered by its Council Tax payers.
    Well those of us who pay Council Tax, anyhow.
    Slightly cheaper than HS2, and possibly the same completion date.