Review: The Food Pit

By Emerson Shams

Open for only twelve weeks now, The Food Pit is part of the Durham’s new Riverwalk area nestled next to the Odeon theatre. To call it a restaurant would be wrong as it hosts five unique cuisine stalls, a cafe, and a bar.  All of these are independent local vendors. Additionally, they always run events such as Open Mic Nights.

When you enter the pit you’ll find loads of tables and stalls which line the walls. As you sit down, you’ll see a menu which tells you what each place serves but also how the place works. It’s kind of like the Library in that you take note of your table number and then order at the stalls. It’s worth noting that they have a 15% student discount after 6pm, and on Sunday drinks are 25% off. As for prices in general, I found that the average entree is about £6.5-7, and drinks non-alcoholic and alcoholic range from around £2-6. Also did I mention free wifi?

Its support of local independent food operators means that it continues to keep the city unique from the large brands taking full control

The five eateries available here are British Gourmet Burgers, Durham Sausage Company, Express Mexican, Manao Thai, and Spread from the Med. Food is also available from Bojangles Coffee House, as well as hot chocolates, lattes and flat whites. The great variety means it’s a good place to go when you have multiple friends and you can’t decide on what to eat. You can also go on your own to get some work done. Overall, it is a great place to try that’s affordable (and next to the new cinema).

During my visit, my friend and I ordered two chicken Fajita Tacos with chips (£6.50), burger with chips (£6.95), and chicken satay (£5.95). We were extremely pleased with our meals, and our ability to grab food from various cuisines. If we were to rate our food it would get an overall 8/10.

In conclusion, The Food Pit is an ingenious addition to Durham. Its support of local independent food operators means that it continues to keep the city unique from the large brands taking full control. It’s inclusive as they address accessibility, something which is often lacking in Durham, and have a student discount. But most of all, it is the perfect place to go with your mates, especially if y’all can’t decide on what to eat. I know I’ll be going back.

Photograph: Emerson Muhmoud