Prices set to increase as Market Square Tesco downgrades to Tesco Express

Durham’s Tesco Metro, in Market Square, has transitioned into Tesco Express under the company’s plan to adapt to consumer habits. 

According to the supermarket, the Express store will generally stock items of a higher cost and will offer a restricted range of products. Some discounts, such as the Aldi Price Match, will also be scrapped. 

These price increases aren’t what I had in mind with every little helps”

– JESSICA bUTLER

The Grocer reports that the move has so far affected more than 6,000 price changes across the UK. Many students use Durham’s Tesco Metro for their main weekly shop. 

Sarah Kirk, a third year studying at Durham, told Palatinate: “For two years, I have used the Tesco in Market Square for my main food shop, but after finding out about the downsizing of stock and the increase of prices, I’m tempted to do my weekly shop elsewhere.”

Jessica Butler, another Durham student, says “I just think it’s a problem for people who have tight finances and for whom Gilesgate is too far. These price increases aren’t what I had in mind with every little helps…”.

In May this year, Tesco announced that 89 Metro stores would become Tesco Express branches, while the remaining 58 Metro shops will be rebranded into Tesco Superstores. 

These changes have been attributed to customer habits. Studies show that instead of customers using the Metro stores for their weekly shop, many were used for top-up shops, and food to go.

“Our Metro format was originally designed for larger, weekly shops, but today nearly 70 percent of customers use them as convenience stores, buying food for that day.”

– Tesco

In a message sent to staff, Tesco stated: “Our Metro format was originally designed for larger, weekly shops, but today nearly 70 percent of customers use them as convenience stores, buying food for that day.”

A shopper who noticed these new changes in their local store exclaimed online earlier this month: “Just an excuse to squeeze more money out of their customers, my shopping basket has become significantly more expensive. Time to look elsewhere.”

Image: Emily Baker

Support Palatinate