Palatinates power through in cup competitions

BACK PAGE 2
Team Durham won 25 out of 35 cup fixtures last Wednesday.

Last Wednesday saw the return of the cup competitions for Team Durham as teams headed into the last sixteen of the Championship, Trophy and Conference Cup.

However, for men’s fencing, hockey, lacrosse, tennis, rugby and women’s football, hockey, lacrosse, rugby and tennis it was a straight pass into the final eight as those teams had finished in the top two of the Premier League.

Out of 35 fixtures, Durham managed to come out victors in an impressive 25. Even more remarkably, out of those ten defeats, half were when the Palatinates were playing higher ranked opposition.

The women’s 1st squash team was one of those teams, despite being unbeaten this season, they lost 4-0 to Northumbria 1sts who have occupied the Premiership. Similarly for DULax in the Conference Cup, the women’s 3rds lost out 19-2 to St Andrews’ 1st team. Despite the 4ths giving Manchester 2nds a run for their money, they unfortunately lost 9-8. The men’s 3rds also lost to Newcastle 2nds 5-3.

There were a number of teams who managed to receive walkovers to progress into the final eight. The women’s 1st teams in both hockey and fencing faced no opposition as neither Cambridge nor Cardiff put out a team. Those teams have now received a £500 fine. Similarly, in the Conference Cup, the men’s fencing 2nds were gifted the victory by a non-existent Hull side.

In the Championship Cup, the men’s 1st football carried on their excellent season by illustrating their determination and strong resolve to come from 1-0 down to eventually cruise past Gloucestershire 4-1.

There were some colossal wins for the tennis club in the Trophy last sixteen. The men’s and women’s 2nds comfortably eased themselves to 12-0 victories against Stirling 4ths and even more impressively for the women, Edinburgh 1st team.

Across all five matches, the tennis club did not concede a set

This success was carried on into the Conference Cup as across all five matches, the club did not concede a set. The men’s 3rds beat Newcastle 1st team 8-0 as the doubles were not played. The women’s 3rds were victorious over Liverpool John Moores’ 1st team claiming another whopping 12-0 victory as did the 4ths who destroyed the UCLAN 1st team 12-0.

There were more notable victories for the women’s lacrosse 2nds beating Edinburgh 1sts, the number one Scottish University team, 9-7 whilst the men’s 2nds destroyed Manchester 2nds 19-2 in the Conference Cup.

Meanwhile, in the hockey the women’s 2nds beat Northumbria 1sts in a high scoring match 5-3. Birmingham however, proved themselves once more to be strong hockey opposition as their men’s 2nds beat ours 5-0.

men's lacrosse
As Premiership winners, the men’s lacrosse 1st team automatically progress into the last eight.

The Conference Cup brought about even more satisfying victories for Team Durham.  Our men’s badminton beat Sheffield Hallam 2nds easily 8-0 for instance.

Onto the basketball and both men’s and women’s 2nds teams were in action. The men’s beat Sheffield Hallam 2nds 69-63 whilst the women made light work of their Northumbrian opposition hammering them 77-31.

Opting to follow in the 1st team’s footsteps, the men’s hockey 3rd team progressed into the last eight with an 8-3 win over Northumbria 2nds  whilst the women’s netball 4ths posted an impressive performances to beat Cumbria 2nds 37-31.

It was a fine day for Durham Rugby as the 3rds destroyed Northumbria 3rds 42-0 whilst the 4ths also secured a place in the last eight winning 24-12 against York St Johns 1st team. The 2nds also beat their opposition Leeds Metropolitan 12-8 in dreadful conditions whilst the women’s 2nds also won, this time 18-0 against Hull 1st team. 

Furthermore, the men’s 1st team squash won 5-0 against Edinburgh 3rds but the 2nds lost out 3-0 to York 2nds.

Onto table-tennis now and the men’s 1st team made easy pickings of Sheffield Hallam 2nds despatching them 17-0 but the tale was sadly not the same for the 2nds who lost by the same score to Northumbria 1sts. The women’s 1st team was gifted a last eight place by Leeds Metropolitan 1st team but the 3rds lost 3-2 to UCLAN 1st team.

It was a mixed day for Durham’s Volleyball Club as the 2nds beat York St John’s 1st team 3-0 but the women 2nds lost out to Hull 1sts.

hockey 3sOther than cup fixtures, there were three Premier League games with two being crucial to claiming those last 16 places. The men’s basketball 1sts took on bottom of the table Northumbria though only managed to squeeze a close win of 89-83. This means the team have secured a last eight place but their premiership title hopes still hang in the balances and will be confirmed at their next fixture.

Elsewhere in the basketball, the women’s 1sts faced an important fixture as a victory would give them the Premier League title, but a loss could push them into 3rd place. Despite leading by nine in the third quarter, the game ended in a 58-44 loss for the Palatinates. However, all was not lost as Loughborough beat Sheffield Hallam gifting Durham 2nd place.

The other Premier League fixture was for the men’s 1st hockey team. True to their fantastic form this season the boys thrashed Manchester 6-1.

After all this excitement, Durham now have 2308 points in the table, 240 points ahead of third placed Bath. This points gap is crucial, especially after receiving the disappointing that Team Durham will not get the expected points from the rowers in the Head of the River due to weather disrupting that event.

Many thanks to Peter Warburton for providing the information for this article and congratulations to all those who have progressed into the final eight!

Photographs: Caspian James, Jayne Oswald