Opening of Stack Durham leisure development delayed

The developers of Stack Durham, a planned venue on Silver Street which will be located in the former Yorkshire Trading Company building, have confirmed that the opening of the venue has been pushed back due to “unforeseen delays”, but that the project is “moving forward”.

The site, which is planned to include a number of bars, independent food vendors and a stage for live music and comedy, was originally scheduled to open this winter, with work planned to begin after planning permission was granted in April and Yorkshire Trading Company closed in June. However, the building remains vacant and empty with “closing down” signs still on the windows.

The building remains vacant and empty with “closing down” signs still on the windows

At the time, the developers, Danieli Group, claimed that the complex will create more than 170 jobs, and chief executive Neill Winch said that “Stack Durham will be a focal point and an attraction offering a wide mix of street food and a variety of live entertainment for people of all ages”.

However, Mr Winch has now confirmed that the venue will not open this winter as planned, and will now open at a later, undetermined date. In a statement to The Northern Echo, Winch said that: “We are very excited about the scheme in Durham which, despite some unforeseen delays, is now starting to proceed.

“This is a very large scheme and there is a great deal of work being done in the background with designers, structural engineers, etc.

“Work is due to start in the next 4-6 weeks on the asbestos removal and the internal demolition, so again, we are moving forward.”

“We are very excited about the scheme in Durham which, despite some unforeseen delays, is now starting to proceed”

Neill Winch

The Durham Stack venue is one of a number planned across the region and the country. The only current Stack venue in operation is in Seaburn, which opened in 2020, but there are additional Stack locations planned to open soon in Newcastle (to replace the Stack site previously in the city which closed last year), Bishop Auckland, Carlisle, Northampton, Lincoln and Manchester.