Number of Durham subjects in top 50 of QS World University Subject Ranking doubles

The number of Durham University subjects in the top 50 of the QS World University Subject has more than doubled from three to seven.

The University’s Geography department has been ranked third in the world, while Archaeology was ranked fifth. The departments of Anthropology, Earth Sciences, English, History, and Law were also ranked in the world top 50.

Today’s subject-specific follow Durham’s impressive rise of more than 30 places in last year’s QS World University Rankings, where it achieved 61st place in the world.

Last year’s QS World University placed Durham 54th in the world for citations and influence of its research among other academics. It was also placed 31st globally for employer reputation, giving recognition to the quality of, and international demand for, Durham’s graduates.

Commenting on today’s rankings, Durham University Vice-Chancellor, Professor Stuart Corbridge, said: “Our success in this global league table is a tremendous reflection on everyone who works at Durham where we are doing world-class research across all three of our faculties, in sciences, social sciences and health, and the arts and humanities.

“I am extremely proud that the work carried out in our departments has been recognised in this way. The significant rises we have made in these really demonstrate the role we play globally in making an impact with our research and changing the world for the better.”

The QS World University Subject highlight the world’s top universities in a range of popular subject areas. Published each year, the are based on academic reputation, employer reputation and research impact.

To compile the rankings, the QS evaluated 4,226 universities, qualified 2,691 and ranked 945 institutions in total. Over 113 million citations attributions were analysed and the provision of over 15,530 programmes was verified.

Photograph: Durham University