Nightclub Babylon sprouts roots in Durham

A new nightclub, themed around the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, is to open in Durham city centre.

Customers will enter an interior which mimics the gardens, full of
lush greenery, and will be able to order signature cocktails among other drinks.

Management also plans to create a menu which is expected to be ready for customers in February 2020.

Under the management of Northumberland Taverns, Babylon is planning to open at the end of this month, having spent most of it looking for staff. They have even organised an event for Freshers’ Week to open the bar with a bang.

Original cocktails feature prominently in the venue’s marketing, especially on their Facebook page. Andy Fenwick, Operations Manager of Northumberland Taverns, has referred to them as “the finest cocktails in Durham”.

The new hotspot is situated on North Road, in a building which has previously been home to a vintage cinema, Australia-inspired pub Walkabout, and most recently the Chinese restaurant, Chinatown.

As well as a weekly club night on Wednesdays, the spot also plans to show sports channels on “the biggest screens in Durham”.

Since August 13th, the club has built a strong social media presence, featuring photos of the construction process to build anticipation. This has not gone unnoticed; in fact, many colleges are planning on taking incoming freshers to the new club during Freshers’ Week.

The club intends to offer a “relaxed vibe”, with “stylish decor” and “perfect ambience”.