New coronavirus testing centre in Durham City

A new coronavirus testing centre has today opened in Territorial Lane car park in Durham City. It is located just off Old Elvet, on land belonging to the University. 

Opened by the Department of Health and Social Care, the centre is different to mobile testing units across the country because it will stay in the same location. Appointments are available from 8am to 8pm, seven days per week.

The centre is pedestrian access only and will feature “better accommodation and shelter for those being tested”, according to Durham County Council.  

Councillor Lucy Hovvels, Durham County Council’s Cabinet member for adult and health services, said: “Like other parts of the North East, we have seen a sharp rise in coronavirus cases in recent weeks and prompt testing is key to containing the spread of the virus.

“This new testing centre will not only increase capacity but also improve accessibility for those who do not have a car. And the more people we can identify as having the virus, the more people will know they need to self-isolate, which will reduce the infection rate.

“It’s vital we all do our bit to prevent coronavirus spreading and if you are experiencing symptoms, I would urge you to book a test as soon as possible.

“I would like to thank Durham University for making the car park available and for contributing to the cost of setting up the test centre.”

Professor Claire O’Malley, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Global), said: “We are keen to do our part to support our local communities in the fight against coronavirus. We are pleased to be supporting Durham County Council and the Department for Health and Social Care in opening this new testing centre, through providing space in our Territorial Lane car park and contributing to setup costs.”

Testing is available for those either with coronavirus symptoms – a high temperature, a new, continuous cough, or a loss or change to sense or taste – or those who have been asked to get tested by a doctor or public health professional. People without these symptoms should not seek a test unless they have been specifically advised to do so.

Anyone attending an appointment will be advised how to get to and from the test site safely without putting others at risk, as well as the public health measures they need to follow. This includes social distancing, not travelling by taxi or public transport, practising good personal hygiene and wearing a face covering throughout, including when travelling to and from the testing centre.

Image: Paul Harrop, CC BY-SA 2.0

One thought on “New coronavirus testing centre in Durham City

• How do you arrange an appointment? – no phone number appears in the article; rather an oversight.