My Feminist Rant: Brazil’s ‘adolescence first, pregnancy later’

By Marina Mestres Segarra

Women support women. Or do they? A female Brazilian Minister has proposed that abstinence is the best solution to Brazil’s teenage pregnancy problem. Yes, definitely, not informing young adults about safe sex, contraception and STI’s and keeping them in the dark  is a better solution than making prevention more readily available.

Damares Alves, the minister turned-celebrity due to her famous quotes such as ‘boys wear blue, girls wear pink’ or ‘Feminists fight their struggle by introducing a crucifix into their vaginas’

‘Feminists fight their struggle by introducing a crucifix into their vaginas’

Damares Alves, Brazilian Minister for Women

(and meanwhile we think Love Island is extreme), claims her religious convictions have no role in this campaign, and ensures it is a well researched decision, as ‘a 12 year old girl is not ready to be possessed’

‘a 12 year old girl is not ready to be possessed’

The Minister for Women (I promise this is not a joke), is one of only two female ministers in Bolsonaro’s government, although reading her opinions, we can hardly call that a victory.

Brazil has chosen the path of fear, rather than the path of consent and empowering women to know their bodies. When asked about his thoughts on the much -criticised ( I wonder why…) campaign, Bolsonaro had his personal reasons: ‘Does anyone think that I want to have my 9 year old daughter pregnant next year?’.

‘Does anyone think that I want to have my 9 year old daughter pregnant next year?’

Jair Bolsonaro, president of Prazil

The President clearly has the wellbeing of Brazilian women at heart, reason why the country is (only) fifth in the world’s of femicide.

It is time we understand sex education doesn’t imply more sex, but safer sex and well-informed choices. Brazil is stepping back 40 years, taking on a policy impulsed by an evangelical Christian pressure group. But hey ho, let’s just keep watching Love Island.

Photo credits:  FotosBolsonaro via Creative Commons