Laura Muir breaks British Indoor Mile Record

On 16th February, thirty-one-year-old, Laura Muir won the women’s mile at the Müller Indoor Grand Prix in Birmingham, setting a time of 4:18.75. The time breaks the British Record set by Kirsty Wade in 1988 by just over five seconds.

In fact, the time was the third fastest in indoor history, behind only Genzebe Dibaba (4:13.31) and Doina Melinte (4:17.14).

Muir, speaking to the BBC after her victory commented “I’m so chuffed to get the record on home soil. I knew the split halfway and knew I was there and thereabouts. The crowd were fantastic.”

Her coach rewarded the crowd after the race with signed photographs of the British athlete as she went to warm herself down ahead of her next outing in Glasgow at the beginning of March.

The time was the third fastest in indoor history

Muir will travel to Scotland hoping to defend her European titles in the 1500m and 3000m.

She was not the only record-setter in Birmingham, however. Samuel Tefera (Ethiopia) set a World Record in the men’s 1500m to cap off a spectacular day of athletics.

Other British athletes also had success – Jamie Webb finished second in the 800m, setting a national record of 1:47.27.

Holly Bradshaw set a season-best of 4.81m in the high jump, beating Katie Nageotte and Nikoleta Kyriakopoulou on countback, as none of the trio could clear the 4.88m. Had the Brit, Bradshaw, been able to clear the 4.88m then she would have set a British Record herself.

Despite this though she said: “To win with a season’s best, I’m as shocked as everyone else.”

Photograph: Filip Bossuyt via Flickr