By James Poole
Durham Constabulary has announced that it has identified and interviewed a “key witness” of the recent assault of a female Durham University student.
In a statement issued by the Constabulary a spokesman said the male witness had been “helpful in assisting the police with inquiries”.
The Constabulary also released a further statement on Friday afternoon in which Detective Inspector Traci McNally said:
“Incidents such as this are highly unusual for Durham, which is generally a very safe city. I have a team of detectives working on this case and we have been following up a number of possible leads in the week since the attack.
“While we have spoken to a number of people, I am still appealing for anyone who was in South Street, Pimlico, Grove Street, Quarryheads Lane or Prebends Bridge between 6pm and 7pm on Wednesday last week to get in touch.”
The incident, which took place on Quarryheads Lane, involved a man of chubby build and around 25 years of age attacking the female student and making sexual comments towards her.
In their statement Durham Constabulary also said that the suspect followed three other women in the opposite direction before turning to pursue the student.
The three women are yet to be identified.
Anyone who can help the investigation should call Durham Police on 101 or alternatively Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
Image: Tom Bastin