It is time we warmed up to tech start ups

Over the past few years, extreme weather has become a regular feature across the globe and as fear mounts for the future of our planet, companies are beginning to realise that there is some opportunity in climate change. Decreasing our dependence on fossil fuels in favour of renewable energy sources, for example, protects us from oil price shocks while also reducing our impact on the planet.

In emerging countries the move to a green economy offers a wealth of oppurtunity.

Across the globe, innovation in green technologies has helped to drive economic growth – and not just for developed nations. In emerging countries, green technologies and the move to a green economy offer a wealth of opportunity.

As research and greater investment into new technologies increases, so too has affordability and accessibility. With this, tech start-ups in ‘developing’ nations are taking on the opportunity to combine economic possibility and entrepreneurial genius with green sustainability.

Latin America, for example, is a region with ample interest and desire to increase investment in

sustainable solutions to the ongoing issue of waste disposal, water shortages, rapid urbanization and general pollution. Among a horde of start-ups, the Columbian company Conceptos Plásticos works to turn waste rubber and plastic into recycled construction material for shelter and housing. Meanwhile, in Argentina, the young company Semtive develops wind turbines made from recyclable materials and designed to fit into suburban and urban areas.

In India, tech start-ups are also jumping onto the sustainability bandwagon, using green technologies in innovative projects. Chakr Innovation, launched in Delhi in 2016, has developed a new technology that takes diesel soot from generators and then converts this into inks and paints, serving to cut pollution in the country.

Young start-ups are tapping into the potential to make money, while providing the ground for change.

Improving transport infrastructure is also on the green radar, with start-ups such as KK Plastic Waste Management utilising plastic waste in the construction of roads. According to their website, they have laid 2000km of road using 1000 tonnes of plastic in Bangalore alone.

In many ways, the potential of green start-ups in ‘developing’ nations shows us what could be possible in the future if innovation and investment levels in the sector continue.

There is money to be made from making a positive impact on the planet – and young start-ups are tapping into this potential, while providing the ground for change.

Green Business Image: Philippe Put via Flickr

Wind Turbine Image: Ian D. Keating via Flickr