In Support of Boris Johnson for Prime Minister

Austin Seck.

Of all the reasons I think Johnson makes a good Prime Minister, his controversial nature wasn’t what I had in mind when I was looking at his strengths. 

Some say that Johnson has fought for the Conservative Party and stood up to the EU on many occasions, which are big factors in winning battles ahead. Johnson was, in fact, a relatively popular figure at Oxford and was able to gain the support of the Young SDP’s, being seen as bi-partisan in his early days. 

I think it’s worth considering how that image of Boris Johnson, even the London Mayor of the past, has long vanished. He is clearly a divisive figure with people’s opinion often split as to how to view him. However, with that being said, here are three reasons why I am backing Boris Johnson for Prime Minister.

Boris Johnson is not to be underestimated.

Sure, he’s made a few political gaffes, but who hasn’t in 2019? The keyword here is optimism – caught between Johnson and Hunt I see the former doing a lot more of good for the country, albeit potentially. He has proven in his university political career and in a good portion of his life so far that he is not to be underestimated; while a lot of these factors are down to being in the ‘right place’ at the ‘right time’, there is no doubt in my mind that Boris would be the better choice for Prime Minister, nor does he lack any capability in being one. 

Boris Johnson and the ‘Trump’ effect.

When Trump won the elections in 2016, people thought the world was coming to an end. What I would argue is that it instead sparked a renewal of political consciousness amongst youth, whether left or right-wing, that changed the landscape of discourse to what it is today. While there can be arguments for how echo chambers have come about as a result and why that is a bad thing, that is a discussion for another day. I’d like to focus on the good that has come out from it: people get involved. When people feel like their country is in danger, people will come out, not just to vote, but to participate and use their voice in an increasingly apathetic political climate that needs this revitalisation. It is important to note that Johnson being at the helm will make people feel like Britain is in danger; whether or not this is actually the case will not be seen until he is actually tried and tested. Once again, the keyword here is optimism.

Boris Johnson will be more capable of achieving Brexit.

As said earlier, Johnson has shown time and again that only he can stand up against an undemocratic EU. It is better to leave the current mess that we are in and Boris Johnson might be that unlikely candidate that would have the audacity to pull us through this trying time. Amidst Hunt’s latest comments about postponing Brexit, I really see Johnson as someone who would be able to carry out his promises on delivering Brexit. How he’ll go about it beats me, but I’m sure it will be amazing. 

For one moment, let’s not pretend that the vote is entirely democratic. A miniscule segment of the voting populace will be able to select our next leader. As it currently stands, Boris Johnson is set to get a comfortable majority, meaning Jeremy Hunt would have to pull off a miracle to upset the odds. 

Image: Chatham House via Flickr.