Free scoring Netball 2s off to a winning start

12170722_10200818769828637_1360758180_n

The second umpire may not have made an appearance but there was no doubt that DU Netball 2’s turned up on the first Wednesday of the season, cruising to a comfortable 39-27 victory over Leeds 3s.

The Palatinates were initially slow to start in the opening stages. Leeds capitalised on this sluggish start and managed to go 3-1 up.

This clearly spurred Durham into life as they produced a fantastic response, where they not only restored parity with their opponents but also raced into the lead. Woodward and Katherine Weir exhibited no signs of early season rustiness and were dispatching their chances with ruthless efficiency. By the end of the first quarter, Durham led 7-10.

Durham carried this momentum into the second quarter, scoring five points without response from Leeds. The Palatinates were now playing some tremendous netball; a dazzling mix of dizzying movement, lightning quick passing and clinical goal scoring. Leeds struggled to contain Weir and Woodward and by the end of the second quarter, Durham were further ahead, leading 13-20.

Leeds recovered well in the third quarter and got a few goals on the board. However they could not match the scoring rate of the Palatinates, meaning they fell further behind, finishing the third quarter 17-31 down.

The game appeared to be in the bag yet Leeds refused to give up. At 21-37, Leeds scored four in quick succession to cut the deficit to 25-37. Nevertheless, it was too little, too late. Durham saw out the final quarter professionally and finished the game 39-27 winners.

Photograph: