Finalists without interim degree classifications to be given £500 by Durham University

Finalists at Durham University received new marks on the 29th August following a recent marking effort by members of staff at the University.

Exam Boards were able to reconvene and provide further degree and interim classifications for students, which resulted in some finalists now receiving all of their marks.

It was estimated by the University in June that 20% of its finalists would be unable to graduate with a final or interim degree as a result of the Marking and Assessment Boycott (MAB). The MAB started in April 2023 and is to continue until the end of September.

An email sent to finalists said, “We have had to put in place additional processes for this year to make sure we can get marks to as many students as possible as quickly as possible. This has required bespoke work.

“We wanted you to receive results sooner, but this is the earliest possible date that we can guarantee that all outcomes have been verified and that accurate documents are available for each student.”

“We wanted you to receive results sooner, but this is the earliest possible date that we can guarantee that all outcomes have been verified and that accurate documents are available to each student”

Prof Tony Fawcett

The University has offered a £500 “goodwill payment” for finalists who are still without a final degree classification or guaranteed interim award. This applies to any finalist student with less than 60 out of 120 credits as a result of unmarked modules, and they will be contacted directly by the University.

The Pro Vice-Chancellor for Education, Professor Tony Fawcett, explained in the email that those students who received no new marks on the 29th August will receive “an explanatory letter and information on next steps”.

The email also promised that there would be further announcements next week regarding students who have faced a delay in receiving their final degree award.

Image: Beatrice Law

One thought on “Finalists without interim degree classifications to be given £500 by Durham University

• Could you cite the source of the £500 “goodwill payment” please? I am a finalist with less than 60 credits for my final year, but have not received any communication about this. I suspect that, as I’m a fourth year on an integrated Masters program and have been guaranteed at least a Bachelors degree (but with no classification), that I will not be receiving this payment, and so the title and wording of this article will need to be updated.