Photograph: Orion

Editor’s Choice: Our Must Read YA Novels

Photograph: Orion
Photograph: Orion

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Omaha, Nebraska, 1986. Park Sheridan is half Korean, half white; Eleanor Douglas is the wrong weight and has the wrong clothes. When these two misfit teens fall for each other over comic books and mix tapes on the school bus, they can finally face their demons together, as they desperately try and cling onto that doomed but glorious experience of first love. As author John Green writes perfectly of this beautiful book: “Eleanor & Park reminded me not just what it’s like to be young and in love with a girl, but also what it’s like to be young and in love with a book.”

Photograph: Speak
Photograph: Speak

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

One moment Mia Hall has everything: a loving and crazy family, a gorgeous boyfriend, and an incredible talent with the cello. Then her and her family are in a car crash that traps Mia in a coma, and she has to struggle with an out of body experience as she watches her friends and family cope with the aftermath of the accident. But Mia, now that all her other choices in her life have been taken away from her, has only one decision to make, and it is the most important one: should she wake up to the devastation of loss and grief and the realisation that she has lost almost everything that makes life worth living, or should she just slip away and die.

Photograph: Orion
Photograph: Orion

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Ravka was once a great nation – now it is the claws of the Shadow Fold, an impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh. Alina Starkov, a refugee, has never been good at anything, but when her regiment is attacked and her best friend brutally injured, Alina awakens a power that saves her life. Whisked away to the royal court, Alina becomes a member of the Grisha, a magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling, where she is trained to tame her power she is trained to tame her power that could be the key to save her entire country.