Durham’s University Challenge team soar through to the semi-finals

Durham’s University Challenge team have convincingly made it through to the semi-finals of the competition, beating Wolfson College, Oxford, by 205 points to Wolfson’s 45.

The team is made up of Castle’s , Arthur Raffle and Will Tams, along with Hild Bede’s Joe Cooper, who captains the side.

The Durham team took an early lead, answering questions on 14th century texts and chemical compounds, however Wolfson made ground on questions on country names and literature.

Durham regained their stride with questions on Helen Taussig, colours of the rainbow, wildlife, and the great offices of state.

In order to progress to the semi-finals, teams are required to win two out of three quarter-final matches.

The Durham University team was beaten in their first-round match against Trinity College, Cambridge, but qualified for the play-offs having been one of the highest-scoring losers.

A strong 95-point victory over the University of York in the play-offs guaranteed their place in the second round.

University Challenge has been won by Durham on two occasions – first in 1977, and again in 2000.

This was followed up with a strong display against Southampton University, winning by 245 points to Southampton’s 95.

However, in their last match, the Durham team was beaten by a strong side from Imperial College London by 185 points to Durham’s 115.

Since it first aired in 1962, University Challenge has been won by Durham on two occasions – first in 1977, and again in 2000.

Durham came close to the trophy last year, losing to the University of Edinburgh – the eventual champions – at the semi-final stage.

Image: BBC