Durham’s Lumiere festival 2023 announces first artists

Lumiere, the UK’s largest light up festival, has recently named some of the artists who will be displaying their work during Durham’s infamous event this November.

The acclaimed Chinese artist Ai Weiwei will showcase their piece titled ‘Illuminated Bottle Rack’, consisting of 61 antique chandeliers that will be installed in the Cathedral’s Chapter House. This will be the piece’s debut in the UK.

Mexican artist Rafael Lozano-Hemmer’s work ‘Pulse Topography’ has also been revealed as part of the line-up. Set in the heart of the Durham Cathedral, Lozano-Hemmer’s piece is set to draw everyone’s attention through the thousands of lightbulbs which will be intricately activated by the recorded heartbeat of visitors.

Lozano-Hemmer’s piece is set to draw everyone’s attention through the thousands of lightbulbs which will be intricately activated by the recorded heartbeat of visitors

Known as one of the UK’s leading visual artists Chila Burman MBE’s newly commissioned project ‘Love Light Life’ will illuminate Durham Market Place, showcasing its theme of climate change.

‘Universal Loom’ by Daniel Canogar will be projected on the University’s Ogden Centre; the animation is inspired by science and include real astronomical data provided by workers in the building it is shown on.

British artist Yinka Ilori MBE, who is recognised globally for his use of bright colours, will be displaying his work ‘In Plants We Trust’. The piece has been described as a shrine to plants that thrive in urban settings.

The biennial festival returns to Durham on the 16-19th November 2023, showcasing a multitude of international artists. The event is completely free and is organised by art producers Artichoke, alongside Durham County Council, the Arts Council England and Durham University.

Helen Marriage, Artichoke’s Artistic Director, said: ‘This year, the programme is even more ambitious with the work of some of the world’s greatest contemporary artists finding its place amongst the beautiful architecture of Lumiere’s home city.’

The full schedule is set to be announced later this year with the main tickets also released on 4th October.