Durham’s first gin distillery set to open this spring

A new gin distillery is set to open its doors this spring in Durham. The distillery, which will be located along Durham’s River Wear, will offer a unique range of courses from gin making masterclasses to distillery tours.

Founded by two local brothers Jon and Iain Chadwick, the Durham Distillery will be Durham’s first and only gin distillery. The Chadwicks have already received recognition for their award-winning Durham gin.

A 90-minute distillery tour includes a guided tour about the history of gin accompanied with cocktails. The 2.5-hour gin making classes allow guests to mix and match botanicals with a take home 1.5-litre mini still.

In a statement, Jon Chadwick said, “With almost a decade of industry experience under our belts, the time has come to step the brand on and open our beautiful new distillery to the public.

“As well as taking our guests on a tasting journey designed to educate and show them exactly what we can do, our location and unique experience in the very heart of the city makes it essential.

Our location and unique experience in the very heart of the city makes it essential

Jon Chadwick

It also gives our guests the chance to create something themselves by crafting their own version of Durham Gin in our gin-making school.’’

“I genuinely believe a positive change is in the air as far as Durham’s leisure and nightlife scene is concerned and we’re very much part of that. We can’t wait to welcome our first visitors this Spring.”

Image: Jordan Odu

Support Palatinate