Durham women sign Irish international Saoirse Noonan

Durham Women FC have confirmed the signing of 22-year-old forward Saoirse Noonan from Irish side Shelbourne. The deal was completed before Thursday’s 11:59pm deadline, and remains subject to international clearance.

The Republic of Ireland international joins the Wildcats after a successful 2021, at both domestic and international level. Noonan is able to play anywhere across the frontline, and was key in Shelbourne’s triumph in the FAI Women’s National League, scoring 12 times en route to lifting the league title.

The forward also earned call-ups for Ireland’s senior national team, netting her first international goal in a history-making 11-0 win over Georgia late last year.

“I just can’t wait to get going now.”

Saoirse Noonan

Noonan joins a Durham side whose promotion hopes have all but vanished, their 1-1 draw with Sheffield United leaving them ten points behind runaway leaders Liverpool with nine games remaining. Despite that, she’ll be hoping to contribute to a strong end to the season:

“It’s brilliant to be here,” Noonan said, “This is a really competitive club and they’ve been up there, so I’m buzzing to get going and ready to compete.

“I’d say I’m quite a technical player and dangerous in and around the box — and I’m good in the air. I just can’t wait to get going now.”

Durham manager Lee Sanders added: “Saoirse is another positive signing for the club and is a player who we have been working on for a number of months.

“She’s another forward — which was an area we wanted to add to — and her record in front of goal and in terms of assists stood out.”

“She’s had that league-winning success coupled with a break into the national squad and working with our coaching staff — Rich [head coach], Steve and the support staff — we’re excited to see what she can add here at Durham.”

Image: Durham Women FC