Durham University: “We take student safety very seriously”

Professor Graham Towl 600x400By

Professor Graham Towl issued a statement this afternoon on behalf of the University after Durham Constabulary confirmed earlier today that the body found in the River Wear on Friday is that of Euan Coulthard.

Addressing national and local media, the Pro-Vice-Chancellor and Deputy Warden said:

“At this difficult time I think it’s important that we respect the privacy of the family involved in this case.

“The issue of riverside safety is one that we as a University take very seriously. We’re going to look at a range of factors to improve the situation. We need to work carefully with our partners to ensure that we reach the right solution, not necessarily the quickest one.

“We have a meeting tomorrow with Durham County Council and will be speaking with Roberta Blackman-Woods MP next week. This is undoubtedly a challenging issue for us but it’s a challenge that we’re going to rise to, we will leave no stone unturned in tackling this issue.”

When asked what advice the University has for students, he said:

“Across the UK there are issues surrounding alcohol and that’s of course of concern to us. Students need to look after themselves and one another.”

Speaking last Friday, Police Superintendent Huddleston said that he would welcome measures to improve riverside safety, whilst the Prime Minister backed calls for improvements to riverside safety last Thursday.

Photograph: