Durham University takes part in Clearing 2023

Durham University has offered places through Clearing for around 220 prospective students.

While the University has previously entered clearing, it had not entered clearing in 2021 or 2022.

Ahead of A Level Results Day, Durham University said on its website that it would “offer places through Clearing to approximately 150 well-qualified home students, as well as to approximately 70 similarly qualified international students.”

66 courses were available for students from the UK and the Republic of Ireland, and 90 for international students hoping to study in the UK.

Whilst Clearing is open until 17th October 2023, Durham University stopped accepting applicants from the UK at midday on A Level Results Day, only four hours after Clearing opened. The only exception for this was Primary Education, which is still seeking potential applicants through Durham’s website.

International students are still able to apply for courses that have not yet been filled.

Durham University said that it would “offer places through Clearing to approximately 150 well-qualified home students, as well as to approximately 70 similarly qualified international students”

Durham University

UK students sitting their A Levels this summer were the first since 2019 to sit exams without any adjustment or compensation relating to the Covid-19 pandemic. It was expected that top grades would be lower as a result, with Ofqual, the exam regulator for England, calling for an 11% drop in A* and A grades.

Clare Marchant, chief executive officer at UCAS, said that Clearing may be more competitive this year as a result: “When it comes to Results Day on 17th August, I think a lot of those highly selective courses at highly selective institutions will go quite quickly.”

Students who missed out on their offer but meet the conditions after their exams were regraded can contact Durham University before 31st August 2023 for the best chance of receiving an offer for 2023 entry. If this is not possible, they can defer their entry to 2024 or may be able to receive an offer for a similar course.