Durham University serves cheapest student union pints in the UK

TonerGiant carried out a survey investigating prices of draught beers provided by all the top 50 universities in the UK, which found that Durham University’s Student Union served the cheapest pints in the UK. 

Durham University came in joint first place alongside Imperial College London and Queen’s University Belfast.

The cheapest pint at all three student union bars was a draught pint of Carling. 

“As students prepare for the new term, it’s important to plan to ensure that you’re saving money where you can”

Stuart Deavall, tonergiant

Stuart Deavall, from TonerGiant, remarked on the relevance of the survey, “Joining university can be both a stressful and exciting experience for students, with lots of preparations to be made for the term ahead. Following this, naturally students may want to hit their Student Union Bar to meet their new peers- but where in the UK has the cheapest offering?”

He continued, “We investigated the cheapest Student Union Bars, which reside in the top 50 universities in the UK, and found that the cheapest pint could be found at Durham University, Imperial College London and Queen’s University Belfast, at just £2.80.

“We also found that the best deal could be found at University College London, where you can get your hands on a draught pint for just £2.40 between 9-11pm on a Tuesday. As students prepare for the new term, it’s important to plan to ensure that you’re saving money where you can.”

The five cheapest student union bars for a pint are:

1. Durham University, Imperial College London and Queen’s University Belfast for £2.80.

2. University of Exeter for £2.95

3. Newcastle University, UCL, Warwick University and Sussex University for £3.00

4. University of Bath for £3.15

5. University of York for £3.35

The most expensive pint at a student union bar is available at The Orator in Cambridge University for £5. 

Image: Adeline Zhao