Durham University ranked in world’s top 100 universities for reputation

By Naomi Clarke

Durham University has been named one of the world Top 100 universities in the Times Higher Education (THE) World Reputation 2019.

Durham placed in the 91-100 range, which the university states will help cement “its place as a globally outstanding university.”

The latest success comes just weeks after Durham achieved 78th in the world in the QS World University and fifth in the UK in the Guardian University Guide 2020.

A wonderful acknowledgement of the esteem that our academic peers have for Durham. 

Stuart Corbridge, Vice-Chancellor and Warden, Durham University

The Times Higher Education World Reputation are based on the world’s largest invitation-only opinion survey of senior, published academics. It asks scholars to name up to 15 universities that they believe are the best for research and teaching in their field, based on their own experience.

Professor Stuart Corbridge, Vice-Chancellor and Warden, Durham University, stated: “Our inclusion in these global reputation is a wonderful acknowledgement of the esteem that our academic peers have for Durham. 

“It shows that we are recognised across the globe for inspiring the next generation through our teaching excellence, and for our boundary-breaking research.”

In recent weeks Durham Physicists have revealed how they are using supercomputer simulations to test alternative theories to explain how gravity works and galaxies form, beyond Einstein’s theory of General Relativity. 

Whilst Durham’s Department of Archaeology led the first UK university team ever to be permitted to undertake excavations within Beijing’s Forbidden City.

To encourage this research and scholars from across the world to visit Durham and study the county’s outstanding special collections, the University has worked with partners to establish the Residential Research Library. Earlier this year this led to the discovery of a 400 year old Royal Charter from the reign of King John.

These subjects are equally receiving their global recognition with 18 subjects in the World Top 100 of the QS World University by Subject 2019, including 10 in the World Top 50.

Three of the subjects are in the World Top 10 – Theology and Religion (fifth), Archaeology (sixth) and Geography (ninth).

Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences and Law are also all in the top 50 in the 2019 Times Higher Education (THE) World University by Subject.

Nationally, the University consistently ranks in the top 10 in the UK. Durham University is currently ranked fifth in the Guardian University Guide 2020, sixth in The Complete University Guide 2020 and seventh in the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019.

Ellie Bothwell, editor at Times Higher Education, said “For Durham University to be included is a fantastic achievement, showing that it is considered to be one of the most prestigious higher education institutions across the globe by leading scholars.”

Photography by Another Grumpy Old Man via Flickr