Durham University ranked highest since 2020 in QS World University Rankings

By Anoushka Mundey

Durham University has been ranked at 78th place by the QS World University Rankings, going up 14 places since 2023. It is the highest the University has placed since 2020. 

Ben Sowter, QS Senior Vice President said: “This year, Durham University propels itself further into the world’s top 100. Its burgeoning reputation among international academics and employers alike has been instrumental in this success, particularly the latter, in which its exceptional performance showcases the exemplary upskilling and work readiness that it instils in its graduates.”

via Flourish

The QS World University Rankings has a points-based system, aggregating the data into different subsections and then creating an overall score. Overall, Durham has scored 65.1 out of 100; Durham is awarded highly for Sustainability and International Faculty Ratio, obtaining 97.6 and 97.5 respectively. However, it scored 27.8 in the Faculty Student Ratio and 29.2 in Employment Outcomes. 

QS adopted the Sustainability and Employment Outcomes indicators this year, both of which are weighted at 5%. QS states that the Employment Outcomes indicator measures ‘the ability of institutions to ensure a high level of employability for their graduates, while also nurturing future leaders who go on to make an impact in their respective fields.’ 

Archaeology, Classics and Ancient History, and Theology and Religion were all ranked in the top 10 globally

Durham has also achieved three subjects in the top ten: Archaeology (=5), Classics and Ancient History (6), and Theology and Religion (7). Whilst Classics and Ancient History achieved its highest position since 2018, Theology and Religion is at its lowest since 2017, dropping from 3rd position. 

There are an additional seven subjects in the top 50: Geography (16), Anthropology (28), English Studies (29), Philosophy (29), History (42), Earth Sciences (=48) and Law (48). 

Durham’s ranking dropped in some subject areas: 42nd in Arts and Humanities (down from 32nd), 92nd in Natural Sciences (down from 74th). However, it has improved in Social Sciences and Managment, now at joint 90th place (up from 102nd)

Durham University ranks above the University of St Andrews, which was recently ranked first in the UK in the Guardian University Guide 2024, where Durham placed 7th. However, twelve UK Universities have placed above Durham University in the QS rankings.

2 thoughts on “Durham University ranked highest since 2020 in QS World University Rankings